try this...
at boot up type lang=hoser
.....im sorry, I couldnt resist.
Will like to change the language to Canadian French,
I try the little tool called knx-customize-image.exe
but the Canadian French support is not there?
Any tips and help please?![]()
try this...
at boot up type lang=hoser
.....im sorry, I couldnt resist.
That did help me but makes me to laugh
hoser derived from hosed
adj. Same as {down}. Used primarily by Unix hackers. Humorous: also implies a condition thought to be relatively easy to reverse. Probably derived from the Canadian slang `hoser' popularized ...
The system used for languages is locale. Try a Google search for locale and your language, if you can find the information I can add it to the Autoconfig script for Model-K.Will like to change the language to Canadian French,
I try the little tool called knx-customize-image.exe
but the Canadian French support is not there?
I did now 4 hours of intensive non stop search on google and still did find it.![]()
Still googeling the web for the solution.
I may take a brake now and go eat.
I wont give up![]()
The solution to change the language to Canadian French for the CONSOLE, XFREE and KDE.
---------------------------- LET'S START --------------------------*
-To define the good keyboard for the text mode console (in my case its Canadian French).
With root shell type :
loadkeys cf
This will not keep you config when you reboot
You will have to incorporate it in scripts of initialization.
This incorporation can be done by modifying the:
file/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
In my case this file contains
KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
KEYTABLE="cf"
- Configuration of the keyboard under XFree86
You will have to modify the file:
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
In my case this file contains
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "ca_enhanced"
EndSection
- To satisfy the whims of KDE
If you tried to modify the keyboard with KDE Control Center, Keyboard Layout, you realized that nor the keyboard French (ASERTY is unusable!), nor the keyboard Canadian (accents are on uncommon places, its almost unusable for us!
), are not appropriate and there is only one choice which it remains to turn: US English! One can also use US English W/deadkeys, but once again, the accents are very badly placed and one needs to get used with the new configs for a very new keyboard! After an almost a day playing in the horrible
world of files configuration on linux (I say horrible because I didn't find concrete help) i discovered this strategy.
- become root
- cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols
- ln -s ./ca_enhanced fr_CA
- cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rules
- edit xfree86.lst and add somewhere the line:
fr_CA Canadian French
start the kxkb configuration tool (in the control center) and find the new layout available, type apply and at last its complete.
Congratulation you did an excellent work. Have fun![]()
PS: Say hello to the penguin from Victor![]()
Hi,
I am also trying to get a default french canadian keyboard in my remastered version of knoppix.
"etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig" contains parameters which can be used to change the defaults at boot time. For example:
fr)
# french version
COUNTRY="fr"
LANG="fr_FR@euro"
KEYTABLE="fr"
XKEYBOARD="fr"
KDEKEYBOARD="fr"
CHARSET="iso8859-15"
# Additional KDE Keyboards
KDEKEYBOARDS="de,us"
What I am wondering is... what would be the equivalent parameters for a french canadian environment?
I don't know when I am supposed to use "cf" and when to use "ca_enhanced" instead, when specifying the keyboard layout. What's the difference between the two?
Thanks,
Jake

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount
$350.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive β Latest September 2026
$12.99
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 β 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS β Box + PSU
$649.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5β, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99