-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks TearingHairOut,
I am sorry to say, the cost of the new system is so much of a hit to the pocket, that I am going to have to deal with the "on-board" video of the motherboard. (and a "shared" video ram of the system memory)
The old puter has the "on-board" video card, but I slapped in the ATI All-In-One Wonder Pro - With 64 megs of RAM on it. The video card was running fine, or so I thought.
I guess what you are saying TearingHairOut is - the system is fine, just possibly the Open GL window has froze the system. If I could remote view the system, and "kick" the Open GL process running in memory, the system would return to a "live" status?
I have to admit, I am at a loss with knowledge about Knoppix - I am already in line to finding out how to get the Debian, or even Mandrake, on install CD's - and the new system is going to get LINUX only installed. I hope to get the new system early next year, and M$ isn't touching it ! 
I was so impressed with the Knoppix Live CD - it's interface, it's auto-detection, it's "clean" appearance, and even it's stable history. I'm not one to give up on something this good, too easily. Heck, I lived more than 15 yrs with the M$ "reboot after you do anything" trouble. Reboot after you do a backup, reboot after you rip a CD, reboot after you go online, etc... etc... etc...
I have seen the FUTURE, it is LINUX, and it is GOOD !
I realize that with Linux comes a new thinking, a new way of doing things, and a little bit of a learning curve, but, I KNOW it's worth it.
I am researching finding a good LUG to sign up with, a die-hard M$ history as I have is going to need a lot of help, kinda like the 10 steps of going off the bottle. First, you have to admit you have a problem with M$, the next is denial, and then comes acceptance, etc... I "already" know I have a problem with Microsoft, and Knoppix has proven it to me. Any problems I find with Linux seem to point me into denial - and thinking that I can just live with M$ Windows. But, I know that isn't the answer. So, I accept that Linux is the way to go, and M$ is the problem.
I am looking into the Mandrake install, and I am devotionally reading the Linux book -=- Welcome to Linux, kiss the blue screen of death goodbye. A very well writen book, it doesn't condesend to newbies, and yet, has a wealth of knowledge to the enlightened. I think Linux is the way to go, I just need to get over some of the small hurdles along the way.
Thanks again for the response, and the assistance, TearingHairOut.
( When I get Linux running full-blown, Konquor [sp] is getting it's first Favorites -=- this Forum
)
Cuddles
BTW - In a previous career, I used to be a Unix Sparc network tech - "one" of the screen savers on these systems would sometimes lock the system up. To resolve it, you could remote connect to the inflicted system, and "stop process" the screen saver, and "poof" the system would return to life again. It was kinda like magic to the user, cause you could be on the phone with them, and when the process got kicked, you could say something like ABACADABRA, and they would go "OMG! It's alive! You did it!" - they would be so impressed, some actually offered their first born. ( don't know if that was a good thing, or a bad, though [giggle] )
Similar Threads
-
By PsaltyDS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 08:58 PM
-
By packard in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 07:38 AM
-
By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-12-2004, 03:57 PM
-
By hapbt in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -
$60.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99