-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: HDD Install. Why does the OS run so slow??? + other stuf

Originally Posted by
jbrush
I know about hdparm utility, but I am not inclined to mess with something that potentially destructive.
Look to see if you have DMA enabled like so:
sudo hdparm /dev/hda
Test your drives read times like so:
hdparm -tT /dev/hda
You can turn on DMA fairly easily like so:
sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
Can I hear from others who have installed the Debian system from the CD onto the same computer they run windows or OS/2 on, with regards to performance? I always thought Linux, in general, was a quick, snappy system, but I am not seeing that. Instead, I am back to using a 486-33 CPU.
Windows was left in the dust on every system I've installed Linux to. Including the Knoppix cd install.
I tried other desktops that come in the package, but its about the same kind of problem.
Any words of wisdom? Suggestions. Disagreement?
Something is wrong although I'm not sure what. What was it like running from cd? Which Xserver are you using?
If you read this far, I would also like to know how to get my CDs out of the drive when in Linux. They will not open via the button on the drive, Where is the eject command?
You can't eject a cd that's mounted. The command isn't UNmount but rather umount. (no 'n'). Bear in mind that if you're booted to Knooppix cd you can't eject it unless you use the toram cheat code. You can simply use eject too like so:
eject /dev/scd0
Similar Threads
-
By tofu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:20 AM
-
By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-22-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By diablo266 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
-
By dugstratton in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 11:27 PM
-
By Khaos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung Odyssey Neo G95NA - OEM Stand - BN96-51632B
$125.00

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00