Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix in English?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix in English?

    Okay, I don't speak German, and from the presence of this English language forum, I'd assume a few of you don't either. How the heck do you get Knoppix to run in English? I'd really like to show ppl Linux through this distribution, but I'm in California, not Germany. Help pls!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix is available in German and English ISOs

    plattypus1,

    Do you have an especially old Knoppix disc?

    You should be able to boot in english by specifying the following at the boot prompt:
    knoppix lang=us

    However, english versions have been coming out for months. There are two simultaneous releases. The German release has the letters "DE" in the filename and the english version contains the letters "EN".

    Both are essentially the same except for the settings in the floppy disc image used to make the CD bootable.

    Regards,
    Nathan Chilton

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2
    Actually, I grabbed the newest version off the website. I figured out the knoppix lang=en command (guess that's what the little German "f2" thing is at boot), but I can't find the = sign. I'm not in the habit of carrying around a German keyboard or chart thereof, and if you wouldn't mind telling me where on a US standard keyboard is the German = key, I'd be much obliged.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    you downloaded the -DE version.. you should download the -EN version!!

    also, DID YOU READ THE FAQ ? ( in the cheatcodes section )

    Hint: Using the default DE-bootimage, SYSLINUX boots with german keyboard layout. The '=' letter is located at Shift-0 on this keyboard.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14
    There's nevertheless way too much German in there, even when English is selected. I've recently discovered the cheat codes, which wouldn't work for me at all for a long time (some error I've forgotten to write down) but it seems to work occasionally now. I boot with lang=gb and I've set KDE to UK settings (although there's a bug in the KDE procedure to do this - if you set it so that you're in the UK and suchlike, it still sets the paper size and units incorrectly - it should be A4 and Metric) but whenever Mozilla goes to a Debian website, Debian is entirely German and that's the end of it. I'm sure I've seen an English version of Debian's sites before, elsewhere.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix V_3.7 English iso
    By jyu613 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 10:54 AM
  2. knoppix 3.7 pro in english
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:46 PM
  3. knoppix in english
    By xzeon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 03:54 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 03:08 PM
  5. Knoppix English
    By bilderberger in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core Socket AM5 CPU 3.5+GHz L2 8MB L3 32MB picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core Socket AM5 CPU 3.5+GHz L2 8MB L3 32MB

$275.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro

$79.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35