-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix and ADSL
Has anyone had any luck with an ADSL modem and Knoppix? If so, which modem? There seems to be very few ADSL modems that work with Linux at all. Any good sources?
John Richards
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've got an external Alcatel ethernet-attached SpeedTouch which works like a charm with any OS which has pppoe. With knoppix, just run "sudo pppoeconf" - there's also an entry for this in the KNOPPIX menu somewhere.
Now if you have an internal or USB adapter, sorry I cannot tell. I would like to know about the USB SpeedTouch though, since it's very common here.I seem to recall that the SourceForge hosted driver is supposedly included in kernel 2.4.22, but I am not sure it suffices. This post looks promising, though...
-
Junior Member
registered user
Very interesting.
I spent the best part of yesterday afternoon trawling the net to try to find an ADSL modem that was Linux compatible. I found a few listed as such - in theory. But no-one seems to actually stock them. The only ones I could find were like yours, ethernet attached.
This is a pretty poor state of affairs. It makes one realise just how far Linux still has to go to be anywhere near competing with Microsoft - sadly.
I have today opened an ADSL account with my ISP - but it will have to be used through Windows.
John Richards
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are ethernet-attached modems significantly more expensive than USB/PCI?
I've never regretted buying mine - served me fine under win32, linux, FreeBsd, BeoS.
Al it takes is an implementation of the pppoe protocol, whereas direct HW
support requires USB + a specific chipset drivers. Also, if you decide to grow
a home network and share your high-speed connection, it is much less hassle
to do so by hooking a cheap router to your ethernet modem.
Anyway, which model did you choose? If it is provided by your ISP they
may have drivers for it or you could ask on their support newsgroup, where
someone is likely to have tried.
At least you'll be able to enjoy speedy knoppix downloads in the future ;-)
Similar Threads
-
By ludo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 10:53 PM
-
By the_squid in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By Sn@ke in forum German Forum
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
-
By [KRME] in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 01:52 AM
-
By cladix in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$111.30

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 Raid Card 12Gbps HBA HDD Controller 9300-8i
$16.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00