OK, with XMMS, I enter /dev/cdrom at the 'play location' menu, XMMS is able to see and play the music CD. So this part of my problem is solved.
Automounting issue still remains though.
Thanks,
FCC
Hello all,
I think automounting is more practical than doing "mount /cdrom" all the time. I know Linux has "autofs" service which can do that. I enabled it using "ksysv". However, automounting of cds and dvds are not working. I have just tried, I was able to mount a CD-R and a DVD-RW disk in my Inspiron 8600's combo DVD+RW/CD+RW drive.
Moreover, I cannot play nor mount a music cd.
Trying to explore how automounting is configured in my Debian 2.4.23-xfs-acpi, I found out that /etc/auto.master is like this:
------------------------
# Sample auto.master file
# Format of this file:
# mountpoint map options
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
# /var/autofs/misc /etc/auto.misc
# /var/autofs/net /etc/auto.net
#
# KNOPPIX automounts for floppy and cdrom(s), see knoppix-autoconfig
# /mnt/auto /etc/auto.mnt --timeout=2
/mnt/auto /etc/automount.sh --timeout=2
----------------------------------------
The file /etc/automount.sh mentioned in the line above is like this:
----------------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
# Generate an automounter entry automatically
# for automount /mnt/auto program this_script
# (C) Klaus Knopper 2002
# WARNING: This script is used for removable media in KNOPPIX,
# therefore the mount is always read-write (except for cdroms
# and ntfs).
fstype(){
[ -n "$1" ] || return 1
# Check if partition is already mounted
while read device mountpoint filesystem relax; do
case "$device" in *$1*) echo "$filesystem"; return 0;; esac
done <<EOT
$(cat /proc/mounts)
EOT
# Check if a device/medium is present at all
dd if="$1" count=1 bs=1024 >/dev/null 2>&1 || return 2
FILE="$(LANG=C LC_ALL=C LC_MESSAGES=C file -Ls "$1")"
[ "$?" = "0" ] || return 2
# File systems to try first
FILESYSTEMS=""
case "$FILE" in
*[Ff][Aa][Tt]*|*[Xx]86*) FILESYSTEMS="vfat msdos ntfs";;
*[Rr][Ee][Ii][Ss][Ee][Rr]*) echo "reiserfs"; return 0;;
*[Xx][Ff][Ss]*) echo "xfs"; return 0;;
*[Ee][Xx][Tt]3*) echo "ext3"; return 0;;
*[Ee][Xx][Tt]2*) echo "ext2"; return 0;;
*[Ss][Ww][Aa][Pp]*) echo "swap"; return 0;;
esac
# It seems that only reliable way to identify the filesystem is to attempt a mount
TMPDIR="/tmp/autmount.${1##*/}.$$.dir"
mkdir -p "$TMPDIR" || return 3
FS=""
# Don't clobber console while attemting a mount
read LOGLEVEL relax < /proc/sys/kernel/printk
echo "0" >/proc/sys/kernel/printk
for f in $FILESYSTEMS $(</etc/filesystems); do
mount -r -t "$f" "$1" "$TMPDIR" >/dev/null 2>&1 && { umount "$TMPDIR"; FS="$f"; break; }
umount -f "$TMPDIR" >/dev/null 2>&1
done
echo "$LOGLEVEL" >/proc/sys/kernel/printk
rmdir "$TMPDIR"
[ -n "$FS" ] && echo "$FS" || return 4
}
# Defaults
rw="rw"
device="/dev/${1##*/}"
case "$1" in
floppy) [ -s /etc/sysconfig/floppy ] || exit 1; device="/dev/fd0";;
cdrom*) rw="ro";;
dvd*) rw="ro";;
esac
fs="$(fstype "$device")"
[ "$?" = "0" ] || exit 1
case "$fs" in
*fat|msdos) options="${rw},uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix,umask=000"; ;
ntfs) options="ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix,umask=0222";;
iso9660) options="ro";;
*) options="${rw}";;
esac
MNTLINE="-fstype=$fs,users,exec,$options :$device"
# Return line to the automounter
echo "$MNTLINE"
------------------
I also do have /etc/auto.mnt, like this:
------------------
# Knoppix automounter file for Directory /mnt/auto
# umask=000 only works for msdos/vfat floppies, but otherwise the floppy is read-only.
floppy -fstype=auto,user,exec,umask=000 :/dev/fd0
cdrom -fstype=auto,user,exec,ro :/dev/cdrom
# The following entries (if any) are auto-generated by knoppix-autoconfig
-------------------
I would like your comments as to how to proceed to solve these two problems.
Thanks a lot for your time and effort.
Best,
FCC
OK, with XMMS, I enter /dev/cdrom at the 'play location' menu, XMMS is able to see and play the music CD. So this part of my problem is solved.
Automounting issue still remains though.
Thanks,
FCC
I don't care for automount myself so I'm not experienced with it. Here is a howto for automount. Be advised that automount for a dvd+rw is a bad idea. Why? Everytime you insert a +rw disc it gets mounted which counts as a write! Your expensive disc won't last long at that rate.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99
Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800
$199.95
Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97
Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29