Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 2 Questions !!!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2

    2 Questions !!!

    Hi all, I,m trying out this version 3.3. and I really like it. I installed it to hd as Knoppix.
    Now for the questions,
    1. why can't i switch user to the one I set up on install???
    2. I have a extra partition which is empty and i can,t make a directory in it, "access denied" it mounts ok, and there's a "lost&found" folder in it that is locked.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Knoppix is the BEST linux distro ever, kudos Mr. Knopper.

    Thanks goes out to everyone that gives their time and knowlageto help out noobs like me.

    Thanks you,
    Paf

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: 2 Questions !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paf
    Hi all, I,m trying out this version 3.3. and I really like it. I installed it to hd as Knoppix.
    Now for the questions,
    1. why can't i switch user to the one I set up on install???
    Let's see if I understand you correctly. You cannot log in as user even though you;re giving the correct password? Log in as root and issue passwd username

    THen change the password for that user. If that fails you can easily create a new user like so:

    adduser dude

    2. I have a extra partition which is empty and i can,t make a directory in it, "access denied" it mounts ok, and there's a "lost&found" folder in it that is locked.
    It sounds like you created the partition and formatted it ok. If you're root then you should be able to write to it. If you;re not root then change ther permissions so that user can write to it like so:

    chmod 777 /mnt/whatever

    For example here's a partition that I use for media:

    /dev/hda10 on /media type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)

    Notice that it's mounted rw (read write).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Re: 2 Questions !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paf
    1. why can't i switch user to the one I set up on install???
    You need to knoppix-install as debian to get the kdm login screen. Can you switch to vt2 and X -query localhost :1? Take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30269 first.

    Quote Originally Posted by paf
    2. I have a extra partition which is empty and i can,t make a directory in it, "access denied" it mounts ok, and there's
    Sounds to me that you mounted the drive but forgot to make it read/write. Right-click on the partition's icon on your desktop and select "change read write mode."

    Good Luck!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2
    Sorry for the late reply , I had to go get my shoulder physio.
    Thanks for the answers.

    I created a new user and password, but when I reboot, there still is no option for switching users, only Knoppix is available.

    I will re-install as "debian and see if it fixes it!

    Paf

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Same problem here with regards to the lost and found HD

    I encountered the same problem with one of my hard drives being called Lost/found. I'll see if mounting the partition and setting it to read write will work when I get home from work today.

    PS: Paf please write a more describing title for yopur topic the next time. That way it is easier to see what your topics is about and if it is relevant for other useres of the forum. There is so much information on the net today that we don't need to make things harder to find than they already are.

Similar Threads

  1. Just few questions
    By Nikolay in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. Questions?
    By kn2user in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 08:30 PM
  3. A few questions
    By jshah329 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
  4. Various questions
    By kellinjar in forum General Support
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 10:10 PM
  5. Apt questions
    By Henk Poley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance picture

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance

$29.99



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67