Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: live-cd can't get network to work

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1
    If you have a Realtek 8139 card you need to use the cheatcode NOAPIC when booting off your live CD.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    i tried that one too. did not make any change.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: live-cd can't get network to work

    Have you read these threads:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

    and

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117

    and does it sound like your problem?

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    I've gotten wireless networking to work on my laptop without problems. It's a Inspiron 7000 400MHz with a Linksys WPC11 v. 3 pcmcia card.

    First, I booted from Knoppix 3.3 disc with the nodhcp lang=en display=wmaker boot parameters. (I use static IP at home). The disc recognized the card and loaded the appropriate drivers.

    Then, to set up the network I got to root then ran iwconfig. Enter the ssid ("cove_circle") and the network type. "Managed" (the default) is the same as "infrastructure" in Linksys's terminology. I didn't use WEP at first. All of the other parameters iwconfig asks for may be left blank.

    Then enter:

    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.105 (use your computer's IP number on the network)
    ifconfig eth0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
    Finally, edit /etc/resolv.conf to list your DNS nameservers.

    That's it. It just works.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Further adventures in getting a Linksys wireless card WPC11 to work under Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 7000:

    When I boot from the Knoppix 3.3 dusc, the Linksys WPC11 is recognized without a problem. Once I did the hdinstall (using knx-install not knoppix-install), the wireless card would not be recognized. I don't know if an installation under knoppix-install would do better.

    During boot, I goot the message "eth0: Error -110 reading firmware info. Wildly guessing capabilities..."

    After a little searching, I found this site (http://www.hoffmannet.com/~thoffman/...0wireless.html) which pointed out a problem with the Inspiron laptops:

    "Basically, it looks like there is a strange or old PCI-PCMCIA bridge in the I7000. I believe that this is leading to port conflicts when the wireless drivers are loading. I solved the above problems on both wireless cards by making the following changes to my config files:

    edited my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file and changed:

    Code:
    include port 0x100-x4ff, port 0x00-0xcff
    to:

    Code:
    include port 0x300-x4ff, port 0x00-0xcff
    and for good measure I added below that line:

    Code:
    exclude port 0x100-0x2ff

    Now, both the Cisco and the Lucent cards are working in both Linux"

    I made those changes and now I'm on the network. Everything else appears to work at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 10:21 PM
  2. Can't Get Internet to Work--3.6 Live CD
    By dylan000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 06:47 PM
  3. Can't get SB Live Value soundcard to work
    By Drenhead in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 08:53 PM
  4. The live CD stopped activating my network adapter. ?????
    By tesmith66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 02:49 AM
  5. Connect to a network drive w/ the Knoppix Live CD
    By leolaw in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server picture

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server

$525.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w

$538.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95