Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Beginner please help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Right here right now
    Posts
    3

    Beginner please help!

    ok i havebeen running knoppix of a cd for months now and have really enjoyed it. Now, however, i want to take it to the next level. I want to install it, but i also want win 2000 on my comp. to. Do i install windows first or knoppix first? how do i separate my hard disk into partitions? what file system should i use? how do i get my comp. to give me achoice of which OS to load?
    So, basically in a nuttshell how do i install knoppix?
    thanx to anyone who post.

    :*:A:*:

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Szczecin, Poland
    Posts
    3
    Hi

    I can say how I do it usually :

    1. create 3 partitions with fdisk (for Linux, Linux swap and for win)
    2. install win on win partition with ntfs file system
    3. install Knoppix on Linux partition and Linux swap with ext3 file system
    3a. I don't install LILO as boot manager, I choose floppy as way of
    starting Knoppix (if I want start win I leave floppy from drive).
    3b. create floppy backup

    br
    robinx

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by robinx
    Hi

    I can say how I do it usually :

    1. create 3 partitions with fdisk (for Linux, Linux swap and for win)
    2. install win on win partition with ntfs file system
    3. install Knoppix on Linux partition and Linux swap with ext3 file system
    3a. I don't install LILO as boot manager, I choose floppy as way of
    starting Knoppix (if I want start win I leave floppy from drive).
    3b. create floppy backup

    br
    robinx
    2. Install windows and use fat32 for the file system if you ever want to write anything to the windows partition from linux.
    3.LILO works perfectly fine to boot both OS's so install it to the MBR and make the boot floppy for when you have to re-install windows and it screws with the MBR.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Szczecin, Poland
    Posts
    3
    It's my habit from early Linux times (boot floppy)

Similar Threads

  1. Beginner
    By WJensch in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:24 PM
  2. Beginner install of Knoppix 3.3
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM
  3. amsn (beginner)
    By fabiand in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
  4. Beginner needs opinion(s)
    By skizee in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 02:55 PM
  5. Linux beginner - how to add new packages?
    By phsieh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD picture

Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD

$379.00