-
Beginner please help!
ok i havebeen running knoppix of a cd for months now and have really enjoyed it. Now, however, i want to take it to the next level. I want to install it, but i also want win 2000 on my comp. to. Do i install windows first or knoppix first? how do i separate my hard disk into partitions? what file system should i use? how do i get my comp. to give me achoice of which OS to load?
So, basically in a nuttshell how do i install knoppix?
thanx to anyone who post.
:*:A:*:
-
Hi
I can say how I do it usually :
1. create 3 partitions with fdisk (for Linux, Linux swap and for win)
2. install win on win partition with ntfs file system
3. install Knoppix on Linux partition and Linux swap with ext3 file system
3a. I don't install LILO as boot manager, I choose floppy as way of
starting Knoppix (if I want start win I leave floppy from drive).
3b. create floppy backup
br
robinx
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
robinx
Hi
I can say how I do it usually :
1. create 3 partitions with fdisk (for Linux, Linux swap and for win)
2. install win on win partition with ntfs file system
3. install Knoppix on Linux partition and Linux swap with ext3 file system
3a. I don't install LILO as boot manager, I choose floppy as way of
starting Knoppix (if I want start win I leave floppy from drive).
3b. create floppy backup
br
robinx
2. Install windows and use fat32 for the file system if you ever want to write anything to the windows partition from linux.
3.LILO works perfectly fine to boot both OS's so install it to the MBR and make the boot floppy for when you have to re-install windows and it screws with the MBR.
-
It's my habit from early Linux times (boot floppy)
Similar Threads
-
By WJensch in forum German Forum
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 02:24 PM
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM
-
By fabiand in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
-
By skizee in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-12-2003, 02:55 PM
-
By phsieh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF + 2SFF 2x10/1Gbe H730 Mini 2x 750W Server
$348.00

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00