-
-
Senior Member
registered user
Great news dvessey, nice hack! 
Would love to hear how you did it! i got as far as using busybox to boot, but had some problems with it. Did include a kernelparameter to choose, but i ripped it out in 0.2 as i didn't get anywhere.
morphix base doesn't include X, yet. I did see some packages on that light Xvesa server, and it might be included (as i do have some kewl ideas on a bootscreen and moduleselector, and vesa seems to work most of the time). The smallest morphix iso online is -light (190 megs), but maybe an ultra-light version/module would be fun too, running in pure RAM :P
I might upload bareX tomorrow if you want, but it's not much (and it uses the regular X server, it's huge in comparison). just put ultra-light on my wishlist, so who knows :P
-
what is busybox anyway? I've heard it mentioned here a couple of times...
it's not really that complicated of a hack.. you need a statically compiled cp and mount(util-linux and sh-utils, respectively). I just put these into a directory of their own on the CD.
then you have to change some stuff in linuxrc from miniroot.. mainly putting the ramdisk creation ABOVE where is inserts the cloop module. set the ramsize to something statically and take out all the unnecessary stuff there. Then, before it inserts the module, copy the image onto the ramdisk, and make sure to tell the module that when you load it.
And that's all I did.. didn't change the cloop image except for ripping stuff out of it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hmm, already figured out that second part, just tried using busybox instead of staticly-compiled utils. it didnt work for some strange reason though
busybox is essentially a whole lot of commandline apps all stuffed into one. you execute commands by using busybox <command> or having a link with the name of the command, so you have a fully-functional shell in about 150kb. check out http://www.busybox.net/ for more info, don't know if it could be a good replacement...
I'll take another look at it tomorrow :P
-
by second part do you mean copying it onto the ramdisk? if so, I had run into a problem there as well.. for me, cause of so little ram and such a big image, it would only copy 127 MB of the image unless the ramdisk was mounted with the -o size=X option, which is what I needed the statically compiled mount for.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, i meant adapting linuxrc, having the ramdisk-building before mounting the cloop. it's true that the ash-mount doesn't have the size option, the busybox version did afaik. Oh well, i'll play around with it some more...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Alex... I looked through your FTP and could not seem to find the precombined images, nor the main-game package... I wanted to try it out, it sounds great...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Alex... I looked through your FTP and could not seem to find the precombined images, nor the main-game package... I wanted to try it out, it sounds great... Morphix sounds...well... fun if nothing else
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
just trying to get morphix to work to see what you have going... seems like a GREAT idea... I am willing to help in any way (remember i am a REAL noob...)
Similar Threads
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By bigjohn in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 12:17 AM
-
By newknoppixguy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
-
By chazllor in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 01:22 AM
-
By Bl4ckm0r3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB
$1319.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

(32GB x10) 320 GB Kingston PC4-2933Y DDR4 ECC Registered (Server)
$1600.00

Micron 64GB (32GB x2) DDR5-5600 JEDEC DIMM Workstation Memory (Innodisk branded)
$895.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM
$99.99