Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Knoppix running from RAM: SUCCESS!! kind of...

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    Well, doing what you are now is one of the ways to help!

    I really really really (yes, really ) appreciate feedback, critique or plain flaming. What do you think can get better? What would you use a liveCD (or any distro, for that matter) for? What just plain sucks? What did you have trouble with?

    It's a new (and pre-mature, in this case) project, like most remastered versions here, but i think the users of a distro should turn the distro into what they want (or are content with). If i wanted a liveCD for myself i'd probably pop up one huge emacs window, but this isn't a liveCD for just myself. Even if you can't code or don't want to dive into the ugly details you can seriously help out any project: by pointing out the weakest points...

    Oh, and if you want to flame, do it on the wiki at morphix.org. I like flaming back, but i don't think that the rest would appreciate it :P

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11
    Nice work, looking forward to the final result!
    It would be great if this RAM option could be added to the Knoppix CD...

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    A KDE 3.1 version would be nice, that allows me to have my own /etc and /home as separate modules!

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    Hmm, a KDE-based module could be easily made, i'll see if i can get some testmodules up next week (i thought people already had enough KDE-versions of KNOPPIX, then again it wouldnt be much effort)

    modules that load /etc and /home? well, could be a good idea, i'll see if i can get some scripts done that easily create minimodules. Should these be seperate modules, or a combined /etc+/home module? It's doable, placing it on the todo-list

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    19

    Re: Knoppix running from RAM: SUCCESS!! kind of...

    Quote Originally Posted by dvessey
    It copies itself, and it boots up fine.. just no X I think it's probably because I removed one of the knoppix packages while on my mission to hack the size down. It also freezes up at some points.. but that's probably becuase it's only got about 56MB of ram to work with cause the other 200 are being taken up by the image (another reason why i'd really like to get my hands on that 48MB one with X...

    Oh yeah.. alex, if you read this, does the morphix base package have X in it? cause I had started to download it, but then quit..

    I've still got a bit of work to do on it, since right now the RAMSIZE is hardcoded in(got fed up statically compiling programs.. I think I'll see if I can make it a command line option).

    Once I get something nice working, I'll be sure to post it up though!
    Is there a download of your RAM Knoppix version?
    I would like to use a distribution like this.
    Or perhaps you could details on howto build such a distribution.

    Any info appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. AOL & Knoppix == success!!!
    By mabhatter in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
  2. What kind of debian flavour is knoppix 3.6?
    By bigjohn in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 12:17 AM
  3. What kind of file system chould I use?
    By newknoppixguy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
  4. shutdown...kind of basic :-/
    By chazllor in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 01:22 AM
  5. Strange kind of Crash
    By Bl4ckm0r3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 02:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI i7-4790K 16GB Mini-ITX Combo I/O Shield picture

Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI i7-4790K 16GB Mini-ITX Combo I/O Shield

$99.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99