Hi,

I installed on 3 PC's using the knoppix-installer and choosing a Debian system. It works great and once you learn how to use apt-get, you will never have to install again. On my desktop at home, I have upgraded KDE, installed Gnome, and upgraded the kernel. I used to run Mandrake, but I always re-installed about every 6 months because a new version would come out with upgraded Kernel, KDE, or Gnome. Debian allows you to easily make upgrades of any scale without re-installing the operating system.

I'm not familiar with the "Knoppix-style" install. Part of the reason I'm replying to this post is to see what others say about this. As I understood it, the "knoppix-style" goes through the hardware detection and configuration routine each time you boot, just like on the CD. I'm not sure if that is true, but I didn't want that because I needed to install Nvidia graphics and platform drivers.