-
Senior Member
registered user
knx-hdinstall + low RAM
I installed the CD onto the hdd of an old PC with a PII233 and only 32 MB RAM (hda3). I added a 200MB linux swap partition to this (hda2). It boots up thru to KDE and everything works. But its a SNAIL! Yes, hda1 is still running windoze - so sue me!
So I was playing around with /etc/inittab and set the run level to 2 instead of 5. Is this the same as running the CD with KNOPPIX 2 on the boot: line?
Well, I thought so. Anyway, it boots with a console screen, no X or KDE and only lets me login as root. Now that's fine for me, but when I release this install into the wild (to my students), I'd rather they login as a normal user that I create as root. I can't login as anything else. How do I fix this?
The only other option is to live with a slow KDE machine or have them login with TWM as the window manager. This gives all the GUI functionality but isn't quite so slow. They usually only need Konsole, KATE and Konqueror which all work in TWM.
Thanx,
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hello, IIRC, on my Knoppix hd install /etc/rc2.d had one entry, so you are basically running in a runlevel similar to runlevel 1 on a normal linux machine. Compare the /etc/rc5.d directory to the /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc1.d directories on your system.
You'll either have to add the necessary links to rc2.d to run in a 'normal' runlevel 2 which I think would be everything except your graphical login manager, or maybe better run in runlevel 5 but go into rc5.d and chmod kdm (gdm, or xdm) to non executable. Then you will start without the kdm (or gdm, or xdm) graphical login, login to a console and then use startx to start X. Make a ~/.xinitrc file that exec's the window manager you wish to use.
You should save some overhead by not running the graphical login manager. I'm going to put together a similar system myself soon.
HTH
rock
Similar Threads
-
By ivansv in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
-
By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
-
By thadk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-13-2003, 04:25 AM
-
By Incubii in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 05:50 AM
-
By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

G.Skill Trident Z Royal 256GB 8x32GB F4-3200C14Q2-256GTRG CL14-18-18-38 DDR4 RAM
$1200.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$47988.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00