Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can I use Knoppix to recover,run utiliies on this drive ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    19

    can I use Knoppix to recover,run utiliies on this drive ?

    I have a hard drive,running XP home,that won’t boot to GUI.Keeps rebooting,I tried “fixmbr” but still reboots. Get this error” Pri master HD SMART status bad,backup and replace”

    Tried R restore XP,but cant remember admin password

    What started this was,I was converting audio files from CD to real player MP3s
    Got a freeze up and this error
    "windows delayed write failed" windows/system32\config\syEventEVT., failure computer hardware or network,

    I am able to boot from a live Knoppix linux CD,how can I use linux to recover,run utiliies on this drive so it boots in XP?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: can I use Knoppix to recover,run utiliies on this drive

    --Your HD is going bad. Buy a new HD of equal or larger size, and you can use the Knoppix CD to copy things over. There are multiple things you can use, everything from "tar" to 'dd' to 'partimage', etc. Search the forums and Google around a bit.

    --Here's a link to get you started:
    http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

    --I recommend a fresh install of XP on the *new* HD tho, and switch from NTFS to FAT32 if you want to share files with $non-MS-OS-here.

    --BTW, I highly recommend a HD fan for 7200rpm and higher drives. See example here:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&Sku=U10-8102

    Quote Originally Posted by duah55
    I have a hard drive,running XP home,that won’t boot to GUI.Keeps rebooting,I tried “fixmbr” but still reboots. Get this error” Pri master HD SMART status bad,backup and replace”

    Tried R restore XP,but cant remember admin password

    What started this was,I was converting audio files from CD to real player MP3s
    Got a freeze up and this error
    "windows delayed write failed" windows/system32\config\syEventEVT., failure computer hardware or network,

    I am able to boot from a live Knoppix linux CD,how can I use linux to recover,run utiliies on this drive so it boots in XP?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Hi - hope this is not a time consuming distraction, but it is possible if all else fails to recover passwords with hack tools such as brute force. I believe you can download trial versions of these apps. - just do a google search or look on the free windows applications websites. I have seen specific XP password recovery pages in passing but have never had to use them to date.
    bestbest

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    19

    thanks for tips, thats a good knoppix guide

    thanks for tips, thats a good knoppix guide

    I built this PC,its small box with 2 drives very close together,that may be heat related, but western digital says to return it

    so no room for fans,although i did build an extra fan on the box,its a all in one PC chips mobo-built in CPU fan,supposed be 1 gz,but its really about 700mz speed,so doubt im creating that much heat

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    19

    unable to see any image files to recover,

    I am unable to see any image files to recover,using knoppix as live boot,so if i cant see them,or open with knoppix "magic viewer" I can assume they are corrupted and lost for good??

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix to Recover MAC files?
    By madmike in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
  2. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
  3. Using Knoppix to Recover Windows 98
    By raven in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 09:56 PM
  4. How do you recover Window files via Knoppix?
    By go2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
  5. recover knoppix desktop
    By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 04:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x2 MEMPEK1W032GAXT picture

Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x2 MEMPEK1W032GAXT

$290.00



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



LOT OF 51 SAMSUNG HYNIX MICRON 16GB DDR4 LAPTOP RAM MEMORY picture

LOT OF 51 SAMSUNG HYNIX MICRON 16GB DDR4 LAPTOP RAM MEMORY

$3300.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot Of 25 4GB DDR4 2400T 2666V RAM Laptop Memory SODIMM Mixed Brands *From Scrap picture

Lot Of 25 4GB DDR4 2400T 2666V RAM Laptop Memory SODIMM Mixed Brands *From Scrap

$299.99



16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25 picture

16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25

$17.99



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US picture

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US

$3.95