Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: help with root user

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    help with root user

    I start knoppix3.3 from CD and i cannot create root user
    Could you tell me how can i do that without installing linux
    to HDD. Sorry may be it is stupid question but i am new in linux thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: help with root user

    Quote Originally Posted by zuzo
    i am new in linux thanks
    It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the search features of not only knoppix.net but also www.google.com/linux www.debian.org and other Linux forums such as www.linuxquestions.org

    Simply enter root in the search field above and you will find your answer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Szczecin, Poland
    Posts
    3
    Hi

    If You start Knoppix from CD You are root.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    If You start Knoppix from CD You are root.
    But only in text console 1...4 <ALT><CTRL><F1>...<ALT><CTRL><F4>,
    back to KDE with <ALT><CTRL><F5>

    Ciao Martin

  5. #5

    Undocumented feature -- the EASY way

    Type at boot: knoppix single lang=us (or whatever language)

    next type at # startx

    You are now FULL root of a fully GUI Knoppix sustem.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3
    thanks to everyone
    i solved my problem it was very simple
    i will discribe it for beginer users like me:
    my problem was that when you start knoppix directly from CD you are root but without a password so when i tried to install my vga i was asked for root pass so i solved that problem like this in root consol with command passwd i creat a password for root user and everything goes ok now very simple , but when you know it

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Zuzo,

    I got hit with that one too.

    Everytime I tried to do something, I'd get a message to enter the Root password. I ran around the CD looking for information on the Root password, the FAQ and the Security text that the FAQ points to.

    All I got was, the Root doesn't have a password, and uses a sudo-password, yadda yadda yadda.

    What I came away with was, you should know what to do, cause we aren't going to tell you.

    I knew that a command had to exist that set passwords, I have worked in a Unix system, way back, but didn't have a clue on the spelling (old age issues, I think. Or maybe a "blonde moment"?). I ran through the complete Help on commands inside the Root Shell, and thought I had the answer: PWD - but nope, thats to show the current directory you are residing in, funny, looked like PassWorD to me???

    So, I posted here, and the nice people here gave me the answer -=- I now have the command on a Postie Note on my monitor until I commit it to memory. The people here are great! Even the most mondane, simpleton question, gets the same response as a question that is dealing with making your own "flavor" distribution of the Kernel. I can't praise them enough, and I hope I can someday have the vastness of knowledge to respond to some of the questions they do, in the future. I Love Linux !

    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. How to change user to root
    By Wavform in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 03:44 AM
  2. How do i log in as root user?
    By spacedude89 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
  3. Root User
    By NewGuy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 02:59 AM
  4. Still no sound as user...only root
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:36 AM
  5. pon and poff as non-root user
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98