Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 3.3 boot stops and locks.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23

    3.3 boot stops and locks.

    KNOPPIX 3.3-2003-11-19 downloaded OK and its MD5 checked OK

    I had installed 3.2 on hard drive earlier and it works perfectly so I used
    the same installation instructions with 3.3. The installation ran perfectly.

    3.3's boot seems normal until it suddenly stops with this message on the monitor:

    Cleaning: /tmp /vat/lock /var/run 4095Mb
    blk: queue c0334b60,I/O limit (mask 0xffffffff)
    blk: queue c0334ca8, I/O limit (mask 0xffffffff)
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekCompleteError}
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {DriveStatusError Bad CRC}
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekCompleteError}
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {DriveStatusError Bad CRC}
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekCompleteError}
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {DriveStatusError Bad CRC}
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekCompleteError}
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {DriveStatusError Bad CRC}

    The keyboard has no effect----the system is locked (with a blinking
    cursor). I have to do a pushbutton restart..

    Any clues?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Looks like dma is killing you. It's on by default and can be changed in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh. Boot the Knoppix cd, mount your /root partition and edit the file.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    My image CD had some missing files---I burned a new one using different
    software and this one works OK.

    When I ran the CD version, it seemed to work OK.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for the DMA info. I checked out /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and it reads

    # enable DMA
    /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda
    /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdb

    I have no idea if this is OK as is or if it has to be changed.

    I've just discovered that there's more to this problem that deserves a new posting..... look for 'Crazy booting"

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3
    well mine locked up as well (but i don't remember any dma messages). I fixed it by installing GRUB - YMMV.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    23
    Thanks to rickenbacherus's suggestion, I edited /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh thusly

    # enable DMA
    # /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda
    # /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdb

    and now 3.3 boots up properly using 3.3's LILO

    Before I did this, I tried booting 3.3 with a Progeny Debian installer floppy and it also booted properly so apparently, it was some disagreement between the 3.3's LILO and DMA.

    I have since changed to boot with GRUB and it boots OK.

    Thanks all for the assistance.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    boot disk vs lilo

    You probably just need to edit the dma out of the lilo.conf on the append line.

Similar Threads

  1. doesnt' always boot, locks up randomly
    By black_out in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
  2. 3.7 will not boot - locks at /etc/fstab
    By raydance in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 09:40 PM
  3. 3.3 boot stops and locks
    By alex+ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 05:15 PM
  4. 3.2 works perfectly--3.3-2003-11-19 locks on boot
    By alex+ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 08:26 PM
  5. booting up stops at..
    By madLyfe in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



LOT OF 5 Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx1 PC4-2133P Desktop Memory picture

LOT OF 5 Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx1 PC4-2133P Desktop Memory

$130.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



16x 16GB Samsung PC3 ECC 2Rx4 14900R -256GB SERVER RAM- M393B2G70DB0-CMA picture

16x 16GB Samsung PC3 ECC 2Rx4 14900R -256GB SERVER RAM- M393B2G70DB0-CMA

$239.49



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98