-
creating remote access CD for roaming users
Heres the issue : I have a large # of remote users with DSL, all with varying random home pcs. They all want corporate remote access but I dont trust their pcs even if i gave them a vpn client, firewall and antivirus software.
Heres the idea: These users only need IE6 (some of our web apps require IE) , lotus notes, and a lotus notes instant messenger (sametime). The three aforementioend apps all work under wine and I have a vpn client for linux that works w/ our fw so....
If I booted knoppix from cd, performed a remaster by following
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto
and the only changes I made were add my vpn client, install IE6, Lotus Notes, and sametime in wine and copied $HOME/.wine to /etc/skel would I be good to go?
Or am I missing something? the concept seems too simple and ive not seen any other remasters along these lines so Im assuming Im missing something huge.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated before I blow a week of my life trying to figure this out and learning that its pointless...
Many thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Interesting Idea
1) Have you tried it yet?
I am a Lotus user at work and the configuration of the lotus is still a bit of legerdemain to me. There are several files and private keys which are placed in a lotus folder on the clients to identify the user to the server.
This would make me suspect the need of a 'custom' burn of the CD or a 'custom' script on a floppy for the ID of each user to Lotus
2) Does it work?
-
SSH tunnel
Why bother setting up all of these custom CDs when you just need to provide accounts on one server with the appz you want and have the clients tunnel in with ssh? Any standard knoppix cd will do just fine for the clients and you retain complete control.
ssh -XC [email protected]
They can then invoke whatever process they need remotely.
-
more ssh
Oh,
I forgot to mention I did this with one client who was in a similar pickle and we had them tunnel vmware sessions of win2k. I was thinking of making a gui app to simplify this for the users but keeping the bar a little higher also has its advantages
Similar Threads
-
By adamherb in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
-
By bbrother in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
-
By Degman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-10-2004, 07:06 PM
-
By solaris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:46 AM
-
By jpmierau in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Asus ROG Zephyrus M15 GU502L Republic of Games Gaming Laptop - 78% Battery
$545.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16

ADATA SD810 1TB External SSD USB 3.2 Gen2x2 2000MB/s New Sealed **FREE SHIPPING
$109.95

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive
$29.90

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$465.98