-
What powerful magic is this?
Okay, so I'm new. Not only new to GNU but Windows as well... let's just say that up until a year ago I had no idea what PCI slot or DDR meant.
Today I find myself hunting that illusive beast of legend, the perfect Linux distro.
I'm madly in love with Debian Linux... or more specifically apt... except for the installation, which I've never been able to really begin properly, let alone master...
Well who wouldn't want package management, stability, and a fine history of openness all together in one desktop package? Top that off with the Toy Story references and you can't help but dig Debian.
I've tried Libranet - not too shabby, and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Mepix Linux 2003.10 - both Debian based...
So far, Knoppix is the only distro I've tried that sucessfully detects and configures hardware (other than my monitors - one HP, one generic). So I'm perusing your forum and thinking to myself that I might as well install Knoppix!
I have a few newbie questions, however...
First, can I use Knoppix just as it were Debian? In other words, can I use apt-get and run with it just as if this were an install of Woody?
Second, this will be an install on an entire HDD, no dual boot. I'm currently building a test machine for this install. If it works, it's likely to become my primary Linux box. Are there any cautions you would give a newbie before starting on a project like this?
Third, and most important... how do I pronounce Debian? I've been pronouncing it as if it were an achronym... like D.B.N. (with the accent on the "D")
But I recently heard it pronounced Deh-bian (like Debbie or Deborah)
I want to make sure I get it right... I live just minutes from the 3vil 3mpire and I want to make sure I say it correctly when I'm in the local Redmond, WA coffee shops... 
Thanks for putting up with yet another neophite and his ramblings,
Nube
Similar Threads
-
By mzilikazi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
-
By rockdoctor in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 02:07 AM
-
By FuzzieBio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By THiM in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 03:35 PM
-
By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 01:40 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00