I guess your source file is on NTFS, but the target fat FS has a file size limit of 2Gb. See here.
Hi,
I’m trying to rescue a couple of files from my dead (windows) PC using knoppix.
I’ve run into a problem trying to copy one file (huge ~ 23 Gb ) to my USB HDD (FAT;
2 partitions each~ 30Gb) – the “cp” has copied only 2 Gb of the target file; then I got error message “file limit has exceeded”;
but the “ulimit –f “ returns “unlimited”
Any ideas?
Thanks!
igor_m
I guess your source file is on NTFS, but the target fat FS has a file size limit of 2Gb. See here.
yes, you are right
Thnx!
igor_m
If you just want to keep the file temporarily on the USB drive you can split it
into smaller pieces, like this:
cd /the/usb/drive
split -b 1024m /full/path/to/huge_file
That should give you 24 (or 23) files called xaa xab xac xad...
Each of them 1G in size
To put them back on another drive you'd just do this:
cd /the/usb/drive
cat x?? > /full/path/to/new_copy_of_huge_file
Thanks!
Igor_m

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99