-
Senior Member
registered user
Information Needed: What should I install with?
As the subject suggests:
Being new to the world of Linux, a lot of things are "new" to me...
I have been reading the Moving To Linux book, and even thought the author doesn't come right out and suggest a Linux "flavor", they do tend to favor the Mandrake install.
Having so many choices; Mandrake, Debian, Red Hat, etc... is more than this poor ol' girl can take. I'm used to the M$ world, you take what you get, like it or not, this is it, kinda stuff. It appears that in the World of Linux, Choices are numerous.
Can anyone give me some input on this subject? I guess the next question I am going to get is: "What do you want to do with it?"
I tend to use the web a lot, research, downloading shareware, utilities, and development "plug-ins" for Visual Basic. Word Processing, email, printing, photo retouching, wave file editing and creation. And I want to get involved with developing software within Linux - as soon as I learn the language within Linux - which I assume is probably "C" (another learning curve to climb).
I also enjoy playing audio CD's and DVD movies, and ripping backups of my system, new CD Audio files, compilation CD Audio discs, and the ocassional backup copies of my original "copyrighted" CD Audio discs.
I used to be a die-hard M$ follower, and was looking to Win[fill in the version of your choice] on my new system, but after seeing the Knoppix Live CD, I was FLOORED!
The guy at the puter store, [ma and pa type, with a high hardware knowledge], had to go through a whole re-configure with my change to Linux OS. He is also the one that handed me the "Knoppix CD" and asked me if I could get it running. He wants to start using it as OS installs on new puters he sells, but is more the hardware tech, whereas, I am the software. So, not only am I excited about Knoppix/Linux, but I have someone else that is also getting my excitement of it.
I think Linux is the future of OS', and am durn well going to give it it's shot. Considering the alternative, Win[etc...], and still they haven't gotten it right. I think Linux is going to leave that "other" OS in the dust.
So? Anyone got any ideas? I am decided on Linux as my next OS of choice, what one do you recommend? And why?
Thanks for any input, and as always, you people are the greatest
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By tilleyrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
-
By tilleyrw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-30-2005, 12:26 PM
-
By twin_cylinder in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By aay in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 07:27 PM
-
By zeus916 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-26-2003, 04:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99