Wouldn't it be simpler to edit the name & home dir in /etc/passwd, and rename the /home directory name?
Small success story here. Since I can't stand using the console and I know there are others like me, I thought I'd just post the command line history of how I was able to rename the knoppix account to kethinov to serve as a guide to anyone who didn't know how to do that, like me.
Code:root@klinux:~# userdel knoppix root@klinux:~# adduser Enter a username to add: kethinov Adding user kethinov... Adding new group kethinov (1000). Adding new user kethinov (1000) with group kethinov. Creating home directory /home/kethinov. Copying files from /etc/skel Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password updated successfully Changing the user information for kethinov Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default Full Name []: Room Number []: Work Phone []: Home Phone []: Other []: Is the information correct? [y/n] y root@klinux:~# rm -rf /home/kethinov root@klinux:~# mv /home/knoppix /home/kethinov root@klinux:~# chown -R kethinov /home/kethinov root@klinux:~#
Wouldn't it be simpler to edit the name & home dir in /etc/passwd, and rename the /home directory name?
Yup, it sure would ;-)

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99
Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99
Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU
$39.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99
Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99
Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz QUAD Core (4 Core) Desktop Processor 8MB LGA 1151
$29.99
COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4
$169.95
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$798.00