Like most things, Knoppix seems to have quite a sophisticated auotmount setup. The setup is itself automatically setup by automount.sh. The problem is I don't think it works as it should/could.
From my understanding (and I seem to recall that at least Corel Linux had this working out of the box) when you are using the autmounter for a floppy (for example) you should be able to type "ls /mnt/floppy/" and get the listing from the floppy, or even hit tab twice and get the list of available options. Essentially it is completely transparent to the user whether or not a device is mounted or automounted. This does not seem to be the case with 2003-11-19.
I've always found the automounter setup quite confusing for some reason (the cryptic man pages), so before I went digging to try and get the behaviour I would expect I am posting here to see if I am missing something obvious, or whether someone else has already solved this (then shouldn't it make it into the next release).

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99