Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: make menuconfig problem with 2.6 kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15

    make menuconfig problem with 2.6 kernel

    I just finished with a clean debian style install of knoppix 3.3, distro-upgraded to Debian Unstable. My plan was to then compile the official 2.6.0 release, but an odd error has come up. When I try any of the config options for the kernel (make config, make menuconfig etc etc) I get this error.

    HOSTCC scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
    from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
    from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2

    Oddly, I tried with the 2.6.0 test 11 release, and make menuconfig works perfectly. I was really surprised not to find any matchs on a search here, or on google, given that I havn't done anything very unusual to this knoppix install after the dist-upgrade.

    Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    Change line 305 of /usr/include/bits/socket.h from "#include <asm/socket.h>" to "#include </usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/socket.h>"

    Either theres a broken link, or the file simply doesn't exist. If the file doesn't exist, it should come up with a similar error.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --That's good info. However once I did that, the error changed:

    Code:
    jstar /usr/include/bits/socket.h
    Processing '/etc/joe/jstarrc'...done
    
    File /usr/include/bits/socket.h saved.
    [ p166toshbox (scrn=) ]
     52 root /usr/src/linux # make menuconfig
    In file included from /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305,
                     from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/socket.h:4: asm/sockios.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    --Are we missing a path somewhere? I know **very** little about C, could ldconfig have something to do with this? TIA

    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    Change line 305 of /usr/include/bits/socket.h from "#include <asm/socket.h>" to "#include </usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/socket.h>"

    Either theres a broken link, or the file simply doesn't exist. If the file doesn't exist, it should come up with a similar error.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Latest info -- see:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/list@epi.../msg00240.html

    --From there, somehow I did these things and THEN menuconfig worked:

    apt-cache search glibc devel
    dpkg -l|grep headers
    apt-get install linux-kernel-headers
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig

    --Apparently the linux kernel headers need to be replaced. So I went back to the /usr file that I modified and changed it back.

    --I get a couple of warnings, but now it seems to be working. Haven't compiled / rebooted yet, so YMMV. I'll try to keep everyone posted.

    =========
    Edit 2003-12-30

    --Successfully configg'ed and booted 2.6.0 and it's running on a P166 Toshiba Tecra.

    --Some issues:
    o Framebuffer support for my Chips & Tech video is lacking; I had to recompile several times and experiment with ' vga= ' settings to get it working

    o Something just went wrong with the 6-gig laptop HD and the whole partition table just got flushed (not sure if this has anything to do with 2.6 tho, could be hardware) so I have to restore from backup (and I lost all my 2.6 notes!) -- the drive is being tested on another machine right now with a laptop -> IDE adapter and badblocks, so right now the story is inconclusive

Similar Threads

  1. how to make kernel 2.6.6 the default boot?
    By cronex2000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:56 PM
  2. kernel too big, how do i make a boot.img
    By xaoz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 07:05 PM
  3. problem when make-kpkg the kernel image
    By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 12:47 AM
  4. make menuconfig / make dep
    By Lord1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
  5. custom kernel with make-kpkg
    By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



C9300X-48HX-E picture

C9300X-48HX-E

$7152.20



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00