Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Apt hates me?

  1. #1

    Apt hates me?

    Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the whole point of apt was to automatically solve these kinds of problems.
    Code:
    root@klinux:/home/knoppix# apt-get install gnome
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    
    Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 41) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: gnome-office (= 41) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: evolution but it is not going to be installed or
                      balsa but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: rhythmbox but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    root@klinux:/home/knoppix#

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    I ran into this same problem recently, but it did work before. I think something is broken in Debian. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I noticed this at first too. But then I searched on the forum and found where Rickenbacherus suggested to install "gnome-bin" rather than just "gnome". And that worked fine for me. I think I had to then install gnome-core separately, but I had gnome up and running in no time.

    # apt-get install -t unstable gnome-bin
    # apt-get install -t unstable gnome-core

    Try that. I figured gnome-core was necessary...so I installed it...it might not be. But either way that worked for me.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    I got the same problem, and am in the process of running that last apt-get command.

    I thought the problem may be related to the Debian servers being down, but I guess not.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix hates my laptop
    By emericanchaos in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98