Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What type of hardware do you look for?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52

    What type of hardware do you look for?

    I seem to be heading away from M$.
    First I heard about Firebird 0.7 browser.
    Then tried Thunderbird email.
    Then I read a post someplace about how great this OS called Knoppix was

    The more I use all the above the more I think about how I don't really need M$, but as I sit here at my computer and look around I see M$ on my mouse, M$ on my joystick and M$ sticker on my computer saying "Designed for M$ windows xp"

    M$ is all around me,

    So what do you hard core non-M$ people do when you need a mouse or some other peice of hardware and don't what to buy it from M$?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    So what do you hard core non-M$ people do when you need a mouse or some other peice of hardware and don't what to buy it from M$
    I simply dont buy anything Microsoft makes. I even scratched off that hidious windows logo on my keyboard, and replaced it with a penguin sticker.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Oh that is funny - penguin stickers

    I fell in love with Tux the first time I laid eyes on the logo in the boot screen.

    As for looking for products other than MS, mice are made by other companies; like Logitech. Keyboards do come from "no name" companies. Even joysticks are made by some serious "not MS" companies.

    For me, its not so much the hardware issue, it the OS and all of its junk associated with it - You gotta buy the OS, if you want to do any "office" work, you gotta buy the Office software, if you want to develope any programs, you gotta buy the developing software, yadda yadda yadda - and all this does? Make you more poor, and the big conglomerate, bigger. Some of the "packages" get expensive. Standard Win98 is around $99, Office Suite is somewhere around three figures, and developing software is easily mid-three figures. Sometimes I think MS is seriously padding their prices to make them only able to be purchased by big companies with unlimited budgets. If MS makes a good keyboard, I don't care, if the price is fair, and it works for non-MS systems. If the mouse is the same, then, ok, I can buy it. Same for anything MS makes - I NOW draw the line at the OS level though. Linux is my choice in that area now.

    Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Oh that is funny - penguin stickers :)
    Help yourself, then ;-) Oops, I just realised these are no penguins, but a little debian promo can't hurt!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Help yourself, then Oops, I just realised these are no penguins, but a little debian promo can't hurt!
    I already have those exact debian stickers on all my cases. I thought I saw penguin stickers when I went there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I've never had an issue with any Logitech products on my Linux boxen. There is some info on Linux compatibility here.

    Some companies have good reputations for working w/ Linux. Some of my favorites are Toshiba (a relative newcomer to Linux) and nvidia among others. http://www.linux-usb.org/ is another great reference for finding hardware that works with Linux.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    I thought I saw penguin stickers when I went there.
    They have some, just not very alluring....

Similar Threads

  1. Best type of partition?
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 06:06 AM
  2. Cannot type anything at boot prompt !
    By markraem in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
  3. unknown bus type 2
    By rcastel in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 11:20 PM
  4. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  5. Using True Type fonts
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES

$85.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95