Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boot issue: undefined mode number

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5

    Boot issue: undefined mode number

    Hello everyone, I just started playing with Linux. The first experience was with Knoppix 3.2. When I boot the cd I get the following message:

    "You Passed an undefined mode number
    Press <return> to see video modes available
    OR
    Press <space> to continue or wait 30 secs."

    If I press the space bar it continues booting. And it boots fine. No problem with the video, Just this nagging prompt each time I boot. Press the space bar or else you have to wait 30 secs. I have also installed knoppix 3.2 on the hard drive. It runs good but the prompt above still appears. Does anyone have any fixes for this. I searched around and came up with nothing.
    Thanks in Advance ....KnoppixBill

    PS alittle info which may be helpful?
    I am running Knoppix 3.2 on a Dell Dimension L550r
    The Video is built into the motherboard. Its old and slow
    But its works fine and is refreshing. I think I will begin to
    migrate over eventually. Linux has so much more to offer.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    Boot issue: undefined mode number

    Try the "knoppix vga=normal" cheatcode at the "boot: " prompt.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi Bill,

    did you try <return> to see your video modes? If you found the best mode you can add it as "vga=<YOUR_MODE>" into the append line in file /etc/lilo.conf. Don't forget to run "/sbin/lilo", et voila - knoppix should start fine.

    Ciao Martin

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the info guys. I ended up editing the lilo.conf file. The very first line was vga=791 I replaced 791 with normal and it boots fine now!!
    Thanks again,
    .....KnoppixBill

Similar Threads

  1. Graphic Problems - "You passed an undefined mode number
    By sunpascal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
  2. You passed an undefined mode number???
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 03:30 PM
  3. "Undefined mode" error
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:57 AM
  4. Boot Issue
    By Cronos55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 06:19 PM
  5. Boot asks for screen resolution [number or space]
    By mnomn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00