-
Senior Member
registered user
Turn Off Yet APM/APCI ?
Hi;
I noticed there have been several new versions of Knoppix out.
I am studying to recompile my kernel......looks like a lot of work.
I was wondering if one of the new versions of Knoppix has apm/apci.....whatever is used to turn very new machines off along with the OS?
Thanks
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am not sure about this BeforeWisdom, but I can tell you, I think the Knoppix v3.2 I have has something...
When I select the Logout Knoppix from the K Menu, I get my original boot screen, still intact, with all the shutdown messages, Sending Term Signal and Sending Halt Signal, and when I press [return] after the CD pops out, my Hard Drives all spin down.
I don't know how Knoppix is doing it, because I have APM disabled in my BIOS. Having Win98, I didn't want Windows to play with power management, this included the Video monitor power down and the Hard Drive spin downs. Windows refused to keep from doing this, even when I disabled PM within Win98 settings, so the conclusion was to disable PM before Windows ever got to it. That way Windows doesn't see that it is even an option. I never got around to enabling it for Knoppix.
Does that help? Or am I just spewing out gibberish (as usual?)
Cuddles
-
It has apm. You can patch for acpi. Unless you have a laptop I think you're better off with apm from what I can gather. Knoppix will shut my computer down or reboot it out of the box. I can also put my computer in standby by using the apmsleep command.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've been lucky and most machines work just fine with apm, but some of the older ones don't. There will soon (hopefully) be a Knoppix variant named Kanotix that has an acpi enabled kernel. If you've installed to hdd there is already an acpi kernel that is very easily installed. Have a look here.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
There will soon (hopefully) be a Knoppix variant named Kanotix that has an acpi enabled kernel.
Did that over a month ago already. 
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154
Kano's version seems to be online now, I'm downloading it from http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/kanotix/ at the moment...
Similar Threads
-
By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:36 PM
-
By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:45 PM
-
By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:28 AM
-
By GuyLeDouche in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
-
By j.drake in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Coach Vintage BlackNylon Leather Messenger Crossbody Laptop Bag Style 5115
$90.00

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS
$100.00

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00