Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Turn Off Yet APM/APCI ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Turn Off Yet APM/APCI ?

    Hi;

    I noticed there have been several new versions of Knoppix out.

    I am studying to recompile my kernel......looks like a lot of work.

    I was wondering if one of the new versions of Knoppix has apm/apci.....whatever is used to turn very new machines off along with the OS?

    Thanks

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I am not sure about this BeforeWisdom, but I can tell you, I think the Knoppix v3.2 I have has something...

    When I select the Logout Knoppix from the K Menu, I get my original boot screen, still intact, with all the shutdown messages, Sending Term Signal and Sending Halt Signal, and when I press [return] after the CD pops out, my Hard Drives all spin down.

    I don't know how Knoppix is doing it, because I have APM disabled in my BIOS. Having Win98, I didn't want Windows to play with power management, this included the Video monitor power down and the Hard Drive spin downs. Windows refused to keep from doing this, even when I disabled PM within Win98 settings, so the conclusion was to disable PM before Windows ever got to it. That way Windows doesn't see that it is even an option. I never got around to enabling it for Knoppix.

    Does that help? Or am I just spewing out gibberish (as usual?)
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    It has apm. You can patch for acpi. Unless you have a laptop I think you're better off with apm from what I can gather. Knoppix will shut my computer down or reboot it out of the box. I can also put my computer in standby by using the apmsleep command.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I've been lucky and most machines work just fine with apm, but some of the older ones don't. There will soon (hopefully) be a Knoppix variant named Kanotix that has an acpi enabled kernel. If you've installed to hdd there is already an acpi kernel that is very easily installed. Have a look here.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    There will soon (hopefully) be a Knoppix variant named Kanotix that has an acpi enabled kernel.
    Did that over a month ago already.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154

    Kano's version seems to be online now, I'm downloading it from http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/kanotix/ at the moment...

Similar Threads

  1. I can't turn down the volume
    By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:36 PM
  2. trying to turn off ALSA
    By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:45 PM
  3. How do you turn off tap click with a touchpad.
    By gotsanity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:28 AM
  4. APCI Problem
    By GuyLeDouche in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
  5. TURN THAT CR*P DOWN!!!!!! - KDE Volume control?
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 07:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95