Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Reproducing the O'Reilly instructions?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11

    Reproducing the O'Reilly instructions?

    Has anyone here tried remastering using the O'Reilly article instructions? I followed them (I think) except that I'm using GRUB instead of LILO as a bootloader. What happens? I got the CD copied to the hard drive and attempted a test boot of KNOPPIX from the drive. Well ... GRUB boots into the "boot floppy" area "/hardrive_boot" fine, the KNOPPIX boot kernel comes up and scans the disks ... but it can't find the KNOPPIX filesystem and drops into the restricted shell. Two questions:

    1. Is there some magic I can type in that shell to tell it where KNOPPIX is?
    2. Is there any documentation on the restricted shell??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am using lilo, and having the same issue. What version are you using?

    ~paul

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11
    1. I'm using KNOPPIX 3.3
    2. I had a similar problem when I copied KNOPPIX to a hard drive and tried to boot it with a boot floppy. It turned out that I had the KNOPPIX directory buried one level too deep; apparently the scan only looks immediately below the partition for the KNOPPIX directory. That isn't the case in this instance.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11
    Hmmmm ... case sensitivity / insensitivity????

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11
    Well ... good news ... I got it to work. It seems the partition where I put the CD image was ext3, and the boot floppy or its hard disk image in "hardrive_boot" doesn't deal with ext3 filesystems. When I reformatted it as ext2, everything worked like in the books.

    Speaking of ext3 ... I just did a "knx-hdinstall" of *Quantian* (a Knoppix remaster) and it offered me the chance to install to an ext3 partition. The choices are ext2, ext3 and reiserfs. So ... I picked ext3 and it went a little bit, then croaked, complaining that the kernel didn't support ext3. It's not essential that I have ext3, but I've never messed with any of the other journaling filesystems. It seemed like a good idea at the time ...


  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Glad to hear it works. I'll go recheck my setup, but I am pretty sure its already ext2. I was thinking about trying it from a FAT partition just to try something else as well.

    I'll try again. Which version of 3.3? I am using 11-19-03

    ~paul

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by znmeb
    I just did a "knx-hdinstall" of *Quantian* (a Knoppix remaster) and it offered me the chance to install to an ext3 partition. The choices are ext2, ext3 and reiserfs. So ... I picked ext3 and it went a little bit, then croaked, complaining that the kernel didn't support ext3.
    I tried ext2, and it was not supported by the kernel either, so I had so settle with reiserfs. Trying KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Hacks from O'Reilly won't boot
    By rgavel in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 01:16 AM
  2. CD rom instructions
    By landolini in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:20 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM
  4. Quake 2 on Knoppix - anybody got instructions?
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 01:16 AM
  5. WORKING INSTRUCTIONS
    By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99