In a console / terminal session, type "sudo lspci -v" . If the output mentions an ethernet device (btw - you did not mention which one you're supposed to be using), then type "sudo netcardconfig".
Hi,
I am using the KNOPPIX Linux off the boot CD. It works fine except it cant seem to detect my Ethernet Card.
Any help on getting it to work? Or maybe some general information (I'm new to Linux)
Thanks,
~Matt
In a console / terminal session, type "sudo lspci -v" . If the output mentions an ethernet device (btw - you did not mention which one you're supposed to be using), then type "sudo netcardconfig".
It's an Integrated nVidia Ethernet Card... I'll try what you said, although when I typed netcardconfig by itself it said it didnt find a card.
I got it to say it knows a cards there, but when I run the config program it says "NO SUPPORTED CARDS FOUND." Does that mean Linux dont support my ethernet card? In which case...sucks...lol.
No that means that the driver for the card is not included in Knoppix you can try Overclockix it has support for the card included.Originally Posted by Linkooseven
Thanks, Steven. Overclockix has the nvnet driver you need Linkooseven, and so does Morphix as far as I know.
While its based on an older version of knoppix (about 4 months old as of this post), others have remarked that Overclockix somehow does do a few things better than the current version. But some things are broken such as msn and yahoo chat protocols in gaim, because gaim is not up-to-date. For hdd-installing this doesn't matter too much. For operating live off the CD, it can be a bummer. I am planning some new and exotic remasters- one clusterknoppix-based and another gentoo-based, and these will be up-to-date and should also feature Overclockix's usual style and extra drivers.
Thanks for the help guys! I'm using the Live Boot CD as I post this. I've been playing around with Linux (if you havent guessed--im a linux newbie) and I like it quite a bit. I dont know which version I'd go with if I acually installed it on my Hard Drive though.
I'm going to wait until I get a new HDD to install Linux though, as I dont know the first thing about partitioning and the like. Could I set a Duel Boot System with Win XP and Linux on 2 seperate HDD's?
Also, while im thinking of it, Overclock cant read my sound card...stupid Integrated POS >_<. I hope if I install a version of linux on my HDD, that I acually get one that reads all my stuff. hehe.
Anyway, im going to play around with this more. Thanks again.
You can easily dual boot with 2 drives in the system just don't make the / partition 10 or 20gb like I have seen some people do the most you should ever need is 4 to 6gb. For your onboard sound if Arkaine23 included alsa on the CD you should be able to boot with the alsa cheat code and get sound or once booted from the CD then in a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig. To check your hardware go to http://www.google.com/linux and just put the name of your hardware in the search box along with linux and debian and you will get some kind of idea of how it works or you could post some specs here I'm sure more than a few of us have run into it before.Originally Posted by Linkooseven
I still cant get my sound to work >_<
About the partitions, my current HDD (the one i'd end up using for Linux) is 20GB in size. The HDD I want to buy to use Windows XP on is going to be much bigger. How would I do this? Just install Linux on the 20GB harddrive, and Win XP on the new HDD and then set up the duel boot system? So I could pick which HDD to start up with at boot? I really dont understand things about partions and other things, so any help would be appriciated.
Thanks in advance.
Well the best way would be get the new HD and install it as the master (first) drive on the ide bus and set the old one to slave on that cable or put it as the master on the second ide bus if you do not already have a cdrom there (no messing with jumpers that way). Partition your new drive with about 10-15gb for XP as the primary ( C: ) drive that should be more than enough for the bloatware if you need more make it bigger but not the whole drive unless you format it with fat32 instead of the default ntfs and make a second partition on the new drive ( which would be your D: after you have formatted the second hard drive and installed linux until then it would show up as E: with the second hard drive being D: confusing I know gotta love dos ) and format it fat32 so you can easily share the files between xp and linux as well as have the ability to write to it from linux you can not safely do this with ntfs partitions. Then install the XP on the new HD go though the configuration and get everything setup then copy the data you want from the old drive that you set up as the second drive in the machine then format and install the linux/knoppix on the second drive. The install program will ask you if you want to install lilo to the MBR and if you say yes then you will have a lilo boot screen which will allow you to boot either xp or linux/knoppix.Originally Posted by Linkooseven
With you saying that you do not know much about pattitioning I take it you have never used the dos fdisk program to partition a drive before am I correct in this assumption? BTW what kind of sound card is it?

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$79.99
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49