Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Does Knoppix "read" NTFS drives? (FIXED)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    Does Knoppix "read" NTFS drives? (FIXED)

    I had read elsewhere that if you had problems with Windows, you could boot from Knoppix to back up files from the Windows hard drives to whatever else you could back up to (CD, USB HDD, other HDD). Gotta say, it will work GREAT with FAT32 versions of Windows, but when I started the CD with my XP computer with NTFS, I got the following errors, and Knoppix took FOREVER to load.

    hdd: lost interrupt

    --then I got the following
    pdcraid: Error reading superblock

    Eventually, the CD went through it's normal boot process, but stopped at the following point:

    Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab


    So, what could be causing the problem? My C: drive in that computer IS NTFS, but the other is a FAT32. Something else amiss? My other older comp with 98 and FAT32 booted flawlessly, and I was able to surf via DSL straight from the CD!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Does Knoppix "read" NTFS drives?

    Quote Originally Posted by philbobilbo
    I had read elsewhere that if you had problems with Windows, you could boot from Knoppix to back up files from the Windows hard drives to whatever else you could back up to (CD, USB HDD, other HDD). Gotta say, it will work GREAT with FAT32 versions of Windows, but when I started the CD with my XP computer with NTFS, I got the following errors, and Knoppix took FOREVER to load.

    hdd: lost interrupt

    --then I got the following
    pdcraid: Error reading superblock

    Eventually, the CD went through it's normal boot process, but stopped at the following point:

    Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab


    So, what could be causing the problem? My C: drive in that computer IS NTFS, but the other is a FAT32. Something else amiss? My other older comp with 98 and FAT32 booted flawlessly, and I was able to surf via DSL straight from the CD!!!
    From the error it looks like it thinks it is a raid drive do you have such a setup in your computer or maybe an onboard raid that you are not using but still set to on in the bios of the motherboard? Sometimes there are problems with dma for the HD's so use the cheat code knoppix nodma at the boot: prompt or maybe even though I do not see it in the list noraid there's a cheat code for almost everything else to prevent the detection worst it can do is tell you it does not exist. BTW a description of the hardware in the machine could help you know make/model/brand/size kind of thing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    Hi Stephen,

    Thanks for the quick response: my computer is the following

    ECS K7S5A Mobo with 12/29/02 Bios update
    Windows XP Home with SP1
    256MB PC2700 Mushkin RAM
    Atlhon XP 1800+ processor
    Radeon 9600 Pro All-in-Wonder vid card
    onboard sound
    onboard nic

    btw, tried noraid and nodma, and still nothing. any other suggestions? my bios didn't show any info (unless I missed something) about Raid. I know for sure I DON'T have the drives set up in that manner.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by philbobilbo
    Hi Stephen,

    Thanks for the quick response: my computer is the following

    ECS K7S5A Mobo with 12/29/02 Bios update
    Windows XP Home with SP1
    256MB PC2700 Mushkin RAM
    Atlhon XP 1800+ processor
    Radeon 9600 Pro All-in-Wonder vid card
    onboard sound
    onboard nic

    btw, tried noraid and nodma, and still nothing. any other suggestions? my bios didn't show any info (unless I missed something) about Raid. I know for sure I DON'T have the drives set up in that manner.
    In that case you should try knoppix testcd just to make sure you have a good CD and use failsafe all by itself at the boot: prompt to see if it will both with the minimal hardware detection. One more thing did you turn off the Plug'n'Play OS setting if you have one in the BIOS?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by philbobilbo
    Hi Stephen,

    Thanks for the quick response: my computer is the following

    ECS K7S5A Mobo with 12/29/02 Bios update
    Windows XP Home with SP1
    256MB PC2700 Mushkin RAM
    Atlhon XP 1800+ processor
    Radeon 9600 Pro All-in-Wonder vid card
    onboard sound
    onboard nic
    considering the question is about accesing a hard drive, don't you tihnk you should have listed your drives and the interfaces they're using?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4
    no, the question is NOT about accessing a hard drive, it's getting the computer to boot up from the damn cd!!! I am just passing on the errors I received when I attempted to use the bootable cd. and yakumo, don't you really think a phallic response such as yours is unnecessary?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    FIXED!!!

    Well, here's the story: Stephen, I tried your "failsafe" only option, and Knoppix booted without a hitch. At that point, I was pretty sure my problem was hardware-related. After trying "knoppix noraid nodma", I got the same old error. Hmm, so just for kicks, i typed "expert" at bootup, and I'll be darned if I didn't see a lot of useful information come up. I then saw that the drive that was causing the problem was the second drive on the secondary IDE channel (normally a swap drive in XP), and that drive was the one causing the "hdd no detection" error. So, I just unplugged the power and IDE cable from it; rebooted, hit "knoppix lang=us" and VIOLA! Booted just fine into Knoppix normally!!!! Had both network and USB HDD working fine, and was able to pull off files from the NTFS drive onto the USB drive, which is FAT32. So I indeed CAN back up NTFS files if indeed my XP install should get crushed somehow in the future. Great to know. Wow, a free OS that works like a charm. Simply amazing. Nice job, folks.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix + XP = "READ ONLY" NTFS
    By technoweener in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:21 PM
  2. knoppix3.6.."cloop:read errors"..
    By aaru_ali in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 07:10 AM
  3. "Formatting of failed" and "Opened disk read
    By shoka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:45 AM
  4. how can i edit a "read only" file (/etc/*.conf)
    By t0rp3d0 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
  5. vncserver startup fails on "default font 'fixed'"
    By andyed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 04:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$145.00



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99