-
Does Knoppix "read" NTFS drives? (FIXED)
I had read elsewhere that if you had problems with Windows, you could boot from Knoppix to back up files from the Windows hard drives to whatever else you could back up to (CD, USB HDD, other HDD). Gotta say, it will work GREAT with FAT32 versions of Windows, but when I started the CD with my XP computer with NTFS, I got the following errors, and Knoppix took FOREVER to load.
hdd: lost interrupt
--then I got the following
pdcraid: Error reading superblock
Eventually, the CD went through it's normal boot process, but stopped at the following point:
Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab
So, what could be causing the problem? My C: drive in that computer IS NTFS, but the other is a FAT32. Something else amiss? My other older comp with 98 and FAT32 booted flawlessly, and I was able to surf via DSL straight from the CD!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Does Knoppix "read" NTFS drives?

Originally Posted by
philbobilbo
I had read elsewhere that if you had problems with Windows, you could boot from Knoppix to back up files from the Windows hard drives to whatever else you could back up to (CD, USB HDD, other HDD). Gotta say, it will work GREAT with FAT32 versions of Windows, but when I started the CD with my XP computer with NTFS, I got the following errors, and Knoppix took FOREVER to load.
hdd: lost interrupt
--then I got the following
pdcraid: Error reading superblock
Eventually, the CD went through it's normal boot process, but stopped at the following point:
Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab
So, what could be causing the problem? My C: drive in that computer IS NTFS, but the other is a FAT32. Something else amiss? My other older comp with 98 and FAT32 booted flawlessly, and I was able to surf via DSL straight from the CD!!!
From the error it looks like it thinks it is a raid drive do you have such a setup in your computer or maybe an onboard raid that you are not using but still set to on in the bios of the motherboard? Sometimes there are problems with dma for the HD's so use the cheat code knoppix nodma at the boot: prompt or maybe even though I do not see it in the list noraid there's a cheat code for almost everything else to prevent the detection worst it can do is tell you it does not exist. BTW a description of the hardware in the machine could help you know make/model/brand/size kind of thing.
-
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the quick response: my computer is the following
ECS K7S5A Mobo with 12/29/02 Bios update
Windows XP Home with SP1
256MB PC2700 Mushkin RAM
Atlhon XP 1800+ processor
Radeon 9600 Pro All-in-Wonder vid card
onboard sound
onboard nic
btw, tried noraid and nodma, and still nothing. any other suggestions? my bios didn't show any info (unless I missed something) about Raid. I know for sure I DON'T have the drives set up in that manner.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
philbobilbo
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the quick response: my computer is the following
ECS K7S5A Mobo with 12/29/02 Bios update
Windows XP Home with SP1
256MB PC2700 Mushkin RAM
Atlhon XP 1800+ processor
Radeon 9600 Pro All-in-Wonder vid card
onboard sound
onboard nic
btw, tried noraid and nodma, and still nothing. any other suggestions? my bios didn't show any info (unless I missed something) about Raid. I know for sure I DON'T have the drives set up in that manner.
In that case you should try knoppix testcd just to make sure you have a good CD and use failsafe all by itself at the boot: prompt to see if it will both with the minimal hardware detection. One more thing did you turn off the Plug'n'Play OS setting if you have one in the BIOS?
-

Originally Posted by
philbobilbo
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the quick response: my computer is the following
ECS K7S5A Mobo with 12/29/02 Bios update
Windows XP Home with SP1
256MB PC2700 Mushkin RAM
Atlhon XP 1800+ processor
Radeon 9600 Pro All-in-Wonder vid card
onboard sound
onboard nic
considering the question is about accesing a hard drive, don't you tihnk you should have listed your drives and the interfaces they're using?
-
no, the question is NOT about accessing a hard drive, it's getting the computer to boot up from the damn cd!!! I am just passing on the errors I received when I attempted to use the bootable cd. and yakumo, don't you really think a phallic response such as yours is unnecessary?
-
FIXED!!!
Well, here's the story: Stephen, I tried your "failsafe" only option, and Knoppix booted without a hitch. At that point, I was pretty sure my problem was hardware-related. After trying "knoppix noraid nodma", I got the same old error. Hmm, so just for kicks, i typed "expert" at bootup, and I'll be darned if I didn't see a lot of useful information come up. I then saw that the drive that was causing the problem was the second drive on the secondary IDE channel (normally a swap drive in XP), and that drive was the one causing the "hdd no detection" error. So, I just unplugged the power and IDE cable from it; rebooted, hit "knoppix lang=us" and VIOLA! Booted just fine into Knoppix normally!!!! Had both network and USB HDD working fine, and was able to pull off files from the NTFS drive onto the USB drive, which is FAT32. So I indeed CAN back up NTFS files if indeed my XP install should get crushed somehow in the future. Great to know. Wow, a free OS that works like a charm. Simply amazing. Nice job, folks.
Similar Threads
-
By technoweener in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:21 PM
-
By aaru_ali in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 07:10 AM
-
By shoka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:45 AM
-
By t0rp3d0 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
-
By andyed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-12-2003, 04:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor
$199.99

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99