Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52

    Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?

    I'm running Knoppix from the cd on a WinXP (ntfs) computer.
    I tried the "Save Knoppix Configeration" and save to floppy and to hard drive. It would say it was saved ok and to type "Knoppix Myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" at boot-up, but it did not seem to work. I could click on the floopy drive and see the files it created on the disk, but running it at start up did not seem to save my bookmarks or other settings.

    So then I tried "Create a persistent Knoppix home directory"
    I formated part of the drive using Linux.

    Then it said at start up I could type "Knoppix home=/dev/hda1"

    Well I did that and it seem to reload my setting such as my bookmarks.

    What I would like to know now is how do my setting gets saved like they did the last time.
    Do they just get saved everytime I logout of Knoppix or do I have to click something befor I logout for them to get saved.

    Also what's the differance when I type
    Knoppix home=/dev/hda1
    or
    Knoppix myconf=/dev/hda1
    What one do I want to use or if I want to use both how do I type it at start up.

    I'm trying to save my setting such as MSN chat and bookmarks.



    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi spydie,

    myconfig only points to a configuration file to save desktop settings.

    So, use home=/dev/hda1 since this will save all of you documents
    and changes in the directory and subdirectories of /home/knoppix/

    Everything is saved when you logout properly -- just do not kill
    the power.

    You can automate the start up if you want to boot from a floppy.
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BootFloppyHowTo
    If you make a boot floppy, then you can put
    knoppix home=/dev/hda1
    as cheat code at the end of the second line in
    the file syslinux.cfg on the boot floppy.
    If you want more than one cheat code -- you
    should only enter the word knoppix once and
    just list them seperated by a space.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52
    home=/dev/hda1 works great!
    Thanks for the help,

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix home directory not persistent ?
    By bucodi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  3. Cannot Create persistent home directory on USB Thumb drive
    By jessjackson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 08:26 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:09 PM
  5. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A

$119.99



32GB KIT - 2x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM picture

32GB KIT - 2x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM picture

SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM

$1950.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00