Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: data processing

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5

    data processing

    Hello, just got a copy of the Knoppix CD up and running on an old machine with 144Mb memory (using an old 120Mb hdd as swap). I thought I'd be able to use open office to do some data processing, but all I'm getting is an old style command prompt. Should i be booting it a different way or am I unable to do this? sorry - I have spent several hours looking on the forum and if the answers there I cannot find it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Try koffice, or some other office program; open office is slow even on a dual p3 800 machine.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Turbinator, you are right about the memory problem, cannot even get kspread to run. I think its back to the command line until i learn a bit more of the command stuff, then maybe I can install a very lightweight hdd to run a basic setup. bestbest! hugeness.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Yah; I *really* wish they'd rewrite OO to make it faster. It took several minutes to load from CD on a 500MHz.

    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    Try koffice, or some other office program; open office is slow even on a dual p3 800 machine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Maybe you could try a lightweight window manager such as XFCE4.
    Code:
    apt-get -t unstable xfce4
    2003-1228 + Added "-t" == dave_bechtel

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: data processing

    Quote Originally Posted by hugeness
    Hello, just got a copy of the Knoppix CD up and running on an old machine with 144Mb memory (using an old 120Mb hdd as swap). I thought I'd be able to use open office to do some data processing, but all I'm getting is an old style command prompt. Should i be booting it a different way or am I unable to do this? sorry - I have spent several hours looking on the forum and if the answers there I cannot find it.
    Are you really using the hdd for swap ? (In other words did you make a swap partition or swapfile on it ?) :-/

    If you really have that much memory+swap you should be able to boot into graphical mode.


    I have run OpenOffice on a machine with just 64 MB RAM + about 200 MB swap.
    Very,very slow yes, but I was able to process the M$ document some inconsiderate
    co-worker sent me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    I have run OpenOffice on a machine with just 64 MB RAM + about 200 MB swap.
    64 + 200 = a lot more than 144

    I've tried running OO on a machine with 128 MOR(megs of ram); you just cant do it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    64 + 200 = a lot more than 144

    I've tried running OO on a machine with 128 MOR(megs of ram); you just cant do it.
    Sorry, I interpreted the orignal post as 144 MB ram + 120 MB swap.
    If 144MB was the total I guess there's only 24 MB ram in that box.
    For that even twm might be a good window manager to reduce swapping.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    not a problem - I appreciate the help! Yes its 24Mb RAM, I should have been clearer. I'm going to up that to 36Mb because I just found a couple of 8Mb sticks (lucky me). and I'll try out the xfce4, sounds very modern anyway. Thanks again, bestbest, hugeness.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5
    or perhaps should be 32Mb...?? oops. more coffee required.

Similar Threads

  1. Need to recover data, please help
    By blkmagic in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
  2. how can i recover data??
    By dreday202 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
  3. Data recovery.
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM
  4. Saving data
    By danidins in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 08:32 AM
  5. data storage
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99