Try koffice, or some other office program; open office is slow even on a dual p3 800 machine.
Hello, just got a copy of the Knoppix CD up and running on an old machine with 144Mb memory (using an old 120Mb hdd as swap). I thought I'd be able to use open office to do some data processing, but all I'm getting is an old style command prompt. Should i be booting it a different way or am I unable to do this? sorry - I have spent several hours looking on the forum and if the answers there I cannot find it.
Try koffice, or some other office program; open office is slow even on a dual p3 800 machine.
Thanks Turbinator, you are right about the memory problem, cannot even get kspread to run. I think its back to the command line until i learn a bit more of the command stuff, then maybe I can install a very lightweight hdd to run a basic setup. bestbest! hugeness.
--Yah; I *really* wish they'd rewrite OO to make it faster. It took several minutes to load from CD on a 500MHz.
Originally Posted by turbinater
Maybe you could try a lightweight window manager such as XFCE4.
2003-1228 + Added "-t" == dave_bechtelCode:apt-get -t unstable xfce4
Are you really using the hdd for swap ? (In other words did you make a swap partition or swapfile on it ?) :-/Originally Posted by hugeness
If you really have that much memory+swap you should be able to boot into graphical mode.
I have run OpenOffice on a machine with just 64 MB RAM + about 200 MB swap.
Very,very slow yes, but I was able to process the M$ document some inconsiderate
co-worker sent me.![]()
64 + 200 = a lot more than 144I have run OpenOffice on a machine with just 64 MB RAM + about 200 MB swap.
I've tried running OO on a machine with 128 MOR(megs of ram); you just cant do it.
Sorry, I interpreted the orignal post as 144 MB ram + 120 MB swap.Originally Posted by turbinater
If 144MB was the total I guess there's only 24 MB ram in that box.
For that even twm might be a good window manager to reduce swapping.![]()
not a problem - I appreciate the help! Yes its 24Mb RAM, I should have been clearer. I'm going to up that to 36Mb because I just found a couple of 8Mb sticks (lucky me). and I'll try out the xfce4, sounds very modern anyway. Thanks again, bestbest, hugeness.
or perhaps should be 32Mb...?? oops. more coffee required.

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF
$55.00
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 288-Pin DIMM RAM AX4U320038G16A-DSZ1
$91.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00