Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Soundblaster Audigy on Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    Soundblaster Audigy on Knoppix

    I just install Knoppix and my sound is not working. I am a COMPLETE newbie to linux as I am now dual booting XP and Knoppix now. Please help me, thanks. As the title says I am using Soundblaster Audigy.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    This is the error I got when I tried sndconfig
    The module used for your card emu10k1.o, is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernel modules are correctly installed.

    See, it detects my soundcard fine, but then it gives me that message.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    19
    You need to use the alsa cheat code. i.e. at boot, type

    Code:
    knoppix alsa
    Mike

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    How do I do that? When I boot, out comes LILO and the boot menu. I don't have a choice. Sorry I'm a newbie.

    I did an HD install, so it doesn't have a boot prompt.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Prophecy
    How do I do that? When I boot, out comes LILO and the boot menu. I don't have a choice. Sorry I'm a newbie.

    I did an HD install, so it doesn't have a boot prompt.
    Try as root /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig if it works and you get sound then also as root edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file this sets the default volume on boot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I was also having problems getting sound. I tried what you said & it worked but I had to start xmms from console as root. On the next boot I got an error 'couldn't open device /dev/dsp (Permission denied)' & again no sound unless I started xmms from console as root. permissions for /dev/dsp are user =root, group=audio, rw for user & group. I assume these are default values. What else do I have to do to get sound as user without having to start xmms as root?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    I was also having problems getting sound. I tried what you said & it worked but I had to start xmms from console as root. On the next boot I got an error 'couldn't open device /dev/dsp (Permission denied)' & again no sound unless I started xmms from console as root. permissions for /dev/dsp are user =root, group=audio, rw for user & group. I assume these are default values. What else do I have to do to get sound as user without having to start xmms as root?
    Is the user a member of the audio group? To check use groups or id if you are not a member then adduser user_name audio as root then logout and back in for the changes to take effect.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Tried adding the user to the group 'audio' using KUser. Oddly, had to add root also...no users were checked off by default. That stopped the 'can't open /dev/dsp errors' (BTW did not get the error when logging on as root) but hen XMMS wouldn't run. It would just start up, display the xmms screen then freeze. Had to use ctrl-alt-esc to kill it.
    Maybe I've done something bad to the basic system. This is on my laptop, Dual boot Win ME & Knoppix, only 6G HD so minimal room for Knoppix, so I've tried to eliminate unneeded stuff to gain some space & maybe I've trashed something which was necessary.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Tried adding the user to the group 'audio' using KUser. Oddly, had to add root also...no users were checked off by default. That stopped the 'can't open /dev/dsp errors' (BTW did not get the error when logging on as root) but hen XMMS wouldn't run. It would just start up, display the xmms screen then freeze. Had to use ctrl-alt-esc to kill it.
    Maybe I've done something bad to the basic system. This is on my laptop, Dual boot Win ME & Knoppix, only 6G HD so minimal room for Knoppix, so I've tried to eliminate unneeded stuff to gain some space & maybe I've trashed something which was necessary.
    Check for the artsd daemon running it screws up xmms all the time if you do not have the plugin installed and enabled. Try when the problem happens ps xa| grep arts then kill of the number of the arts process. Alternatively you can install xmms-arts and use that for the output plugin instead of the OSS plugin.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    can't get ps xa /grep arts to work, gives bad syntax errors but ps x gives a list & there is no artsd running. also I get error 'rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC:remote refused' but then it goes ahead & adds the user to /etc/group.
    This is definitely a permissions problem of some kind. When I do not have user as a member of audio, xmms plugin works & I can get sound as root, either logged on as root or sudo'd. but as user I get 'cannot open /dev/dsp' error while logging in & get errors when the xmms plugin tries to open. (These errors only started after I added the aumix line to bootmisc as suggested above). When user IS added to group audio, xmms plugin stalls whether being called from root or from user. Won't play sound, won't close.
    Late breaking news...it DOES play the sound, it just waits about 30 seconds before it plays!??! but it still won't close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Soundblaster Audigy driver problems
    By Mastacheata in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
  2. Soundblaster Audigy with CD booted Knoppix
    By OmegaOne in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 02:25 PM
  3. soundblaster audigy 2 support/patch for knoppix/linux?
    By flailer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:57 AM
  4. Newbie Problems with Soundblaster Audigy
    By JohnElmore in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 06:13 AM
  5. I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card and I have no sound.
    By Playloud in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2002, 12:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh Power PC 7200 / 120 Power PC Tested Works Read Desc picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Power PC 7200 / 120 Power PC Tested Works Read Desc

$129.95