Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: WinModem LT V.90 Data+Fax Modem V5.34 HELP! (solved)

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Aaaaaaa, a new, and fresh, day...

    All night I was trying to think what I could have done wrong -=- Why only Root can get to web sites, and not the other users. I already examined the other users Groups within KDE User Manager - and other than Root as a Group, they are basically the same - not sure if I missed something though.

    I did note: thinking through my install -=- tar till the force -=- all was done in the Root Home directory, and as Root. Plus, dummy me, I forgot those two things you mentioned TearingHairOut - the .ltinst2 and the ./autoload - Could this be the "source" of my problems?

    I hate being on the internet as SU, and would like to be less vulnerable when connected.
    (also, I downloaded FireStarter (firewall) as a Tar Ball Source - into a common directory off the main drive, in case the whole build in the Root area thing was a issue with the LTModem, do I just unTar it as in the LTmodem and look at how to install it?

    Thanks millions for this group, the assistance, and I hope, I am getting the hang of all of this, so I can do this stuff myself

    Cuddles

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Cuddles
    Yaaaaay
    I'm glad you managed to get the modem working.

    That's strange about not being to find web pages when logged in as a normal user. The only thing that springs to mind would be proxy server settings in Konqueror and Mozilla.

    See what you have under Settings/Configure Konqueror/Proxy in Konqueror for root and the other users, and see if they differ at all.

    Failing that you will have to put your network engineer hat on and start trying to diagnose the problem from the bottom up, eg. Can you ping the IP address of the web site, can you resolve the web site name to its IP address, that sort of thing.

    Try running the following sequence of commands, first as root, just to familiarise yourself with the process, then as another user, and see what happens differently.
    The bits you need to type are in bold. Ctrl-C means press control C.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    knoppix@knoppix:~$ ping 69.56.166.99
    PING 69.56.166.99 (69.56.166.99): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=54.8 ms
    64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=55.7 ms
    64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=55.3 ms
    Ctrl-C
    --- 69.56.166.99 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 54.8/55.2/55.7 ms
    knoppix@knoppix:~$ dig www.knoppix.net

    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> www.knoppix.net
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6032
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.knoppix.net. IN A

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.knoppix.net. 2060 IN A 69.56.166.99

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    knoppix.net. 2075 IN NS ns2.ispbox.com.
    knoppix.net. 2075 IN NS rimu.eadz.co.nz.
    knoppix.net. 2075 IN NS manuka.eadz.co.nz.

    ;; Query time: 10 msec
    ;; SERVER: 24.29.99.14#53(24.29.99.14)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Dec 24 09:57:52 2003
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 127

    knoppix@knoppix:~$ ping www.knoppix.net
    PING www.knoppix.net (69.56.166.99): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=51.6 ms
    64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=54.2 ms
    64 bytes from 69.56.166.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=53.8 ms
    Ctrl-C
    --- www.knoppix.net ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 51.6/53.2/54.2 ms
    knoppix@knoppix:~$ telnet www.knoppix.net 80
    Trying 69.56.166.99...
    Connected to kowhai.eadz.co.nz.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    get
    <html>
    Lots of stuff removed from here.
    </body>
    </html>Connection closed by foreign host.
    knoppix@knoppix:~$
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Also, I see what you mean about not getting the topic review in Konqueror. I have the same problem. I found another topic on this forum where someone else had the problem too.
    It is probably just a bug in Konqueror. I always use Mozilla anyway.

    Good luck
    THO

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Cuddles

    Firestarter can be installed from the debian site.

    Trying to compile stuff from source should be your last resort.

    First, make sure you have a file called /etc/apt/sources.list that contains this line:
    Code:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
    then just type this command as root
    Code:
    apt-get install firestarter
    If this works (it did for me) then you can just run firestarter from the command line, or find it in the internet menu, and you're away.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    TearingHairOut,

    O M G ! ! !

    Is this slicker than SLICED BREAD !

    1) Checked my Sources.lst - the exact line you stated was not their, so I added it. Went to a Root Konsole Shell - did the apt-get install firestarter - it had W: stuff, which I assume are Warnings, and one E:, which I bet is an Error - the warnings stated something, the Error at the end stated something like Package firestarter not found - last thing it said was: Maybe you should do a "apt-get update"

    SCARY PART:
    I did the apt-get update - it is still running in the background, DID I DO GOOD HERE ? I knew I needed to do this sometime to get security updates, but YEESH. Did I just FRY, or am I in the process of FRYING, my system here?

    When this apt-get update finishes, should I assume I am ok, and should I redo the apt-get install firestarter - or is it really already installed?

    2) I copied all the stuff you stated about the Ping testing, and such - Konqueror does NOT have Proxy running. I will check the settings in the other users, after I get #1 above figured out and it finishes. If they don't have Proxy running, I have the network stuff saved to test with.

    I really appreciate all the help Tearing, and also to L2Cache, this has been an immersion into Linux of an experiance, but, I'm learning Thanks

    ??? How do I add stuff into my auto-start ????
    I like to have the "speaker" from KMix in the tray next to the clock. In Win you just pup junk in your startup folder. What is the equivalent here in the Linux World???

    Thanks, I guess I need to start posting in the HD Install Forum now? YES! (I've been promoted! [giggle]
    Cuddles

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    I think apt-get update was the right thing to do.

    Essentially, now that you have pointed apt at a new place to get packages from, it needs to go and read the index of all the packages that are available there.

    Once it has finished, try the apt-get install firestarter again.

    If the worst comes to the worst and you do fry your system, well, now that you are a master of Knoppix HD installs, it should be trivial for you to just reinstall again.

    As for the auto-start of Kmix, I am not really sure, but if you run kmix manually and then configure it so the first two options (Dock into Panel & Enable system tray volume control), it might always start for you.
    This seems to be the case for me, anyway.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks Millions TearingHairOut,

    You have been wonderful through all of this, and extremely patient with this noob. (even to the point of hand-holding me through some of the rough parts)

    If anything, I think this thread can be closed, considering I "DO" have the LTWinModem working now

    I will work on the network "hat" part, and should resolve w/o issues.
    And - again - thanks to everyone - Happy Hollidays - Happy New Year - and may all your systems, never crash
    Cuddles

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    Yes, it's ok to have apt-get update run in the background while you're doing other stuff. Linux is multi-user and multi-tasking, so you theoretically could have 10 people logged in while you're running that. This assumes you have 10 other accounts created (or less... you can log in to a machine several times as yourself) and that you've started up the correct services, of course.


    As for auto-start, if you leave, say, XMMS open when you log out, it will start up when you log back in again.

    When I was running Mandrake, and I logged off while streaming music, and then logged back in again, it would resume streaming.
    In Knoppix/Debian, when I log back in after streaming music, XMMS starts with a dialog box that says "Please select file." Crappy, but not as bad as Windows where it wouldn't start at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 12:14 AM
  2. more problems with a winmodem...please help. [solved]
    By cyKeMatica in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 09:26 PM
  3. Is Winmodem detected?
    By ykgoh in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM
  4. Winmodem...please help me
    By emax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 08:36 PM
  5. winmodem
    By emax in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95