Very nice![]()
Well I did it now.
I was playing around with partitions on my hard drive, don't ask
After I was done I could not boot up into win98 anymore.
This is all on my older computer so I was not to worried.
After playing around some more and still not being able to boot into win98 I thought who needs it
So I formated my hard drive and M$ was gone forever.
I booted to my Knoppix cd. I had the computer up and online in just a couple of minutes.
All without any help from M$....
--------------
In the beginning there was darkness. The visions and aspirations of a human kind were bound to the physical world in the most primitive of fashions. And so people created machines to break their bondage. Born from silicon ashes, machines gave human kind the potential to dream without boundaries. This technologyh was good and there was light.
Without a human dreamer the machine was nothing but silicon. And so operating systems were born to bridge the gap between human and machine. And much discoures ensued among the different operating systems. Even the finest of breeds bickered amongst themselves. And there was splintering, betrayal, lies, and greed.
Slaves to their dreams, the people became slaves to their machines. Forced to salute with three fingers or speak in arcane and mystic tongues, the people learned to fear... even hate the machines.
Out of this turmoil came hope.Knoppix
-------------
Happy Holiday's![]()
Very nice![]()
w00t!
I'm not to sure about going Linux-Only, only because I have MANY MANY Windows applications (games mostly) that I still use, so I'll probably set up a duel boot system (I asked many questions about it in my thread about the ethernet card)
I used to dual boot back in the days of 3.1; I never used windows so I chucked the drive.
Spydie, I applaud your courage.
Well done, A word to the wise for those thinking to break the link to Windows. Make sure all your hardware is supported in linux first. There are many issues with various bits and peices. Unfortunately many manufacturers overlook the linux world.
I personally only use KNOPPIX for some time now. I have to maintain dual-boot machines, however, for some of my users....
Happy Holidays!
I only boot into windows to scan pictures, which is NOT very often.In the distant future I'll boot into it to verify that my cross-platform game works in Windows as well as Linux.
Welcome to Debian/Knoppix Spydie![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Glad you made it, pretty much, unscathed [giggle]
The quote was very nice, I liked it. Some of it from Genesis, and, what I guess, a combination of Isaac Asimov and Rad Bradbury - I think![]()
You have a Wonderful, NON-Windows, Knoppix/Debian, Happy Hollidays too Spydie
( and to all the rest within the Knopper Community)
Happy New (OS) Year,
Cuddles
Well I think I have the cfdisk working now. Ok, so it was always working and I just did not know how to use it
I'm now copying the knoppix files to the hard drive so I don't have to run it from the cd anymore.
It does work really great from the cd, but it will be nicer to have it run a bit faster and to be able to save other files to the hard drive again.
I'm having more fun with my old computer and Knoppix then with the new Dell and winXP, Hmm.....![]()

Commodore Amiga 1000 Personal Computer With Original Monitor and Speakers
$1352.99
Commodore 1541 Newtronics 5.25" Disk Drive - Tested and Working for Commodore 64
$64.00
Commodore 64C, Clean, tested and working (SN CA1604583). Box does not match SN.
$110.00
Commodore 1351 Mouse for Commodore 64/64C/128 w/ Box, Manuals, & Utility Disk
$199.99
Commodore Amiga 1010 External 3.5” Floppy Drive A500 A1000 A2000 • Untested
$74.99
Commodore 1581 Floppy Disk Drive w/ Power Supply, Cable & Disks
$300.00
CMD Reproduction GFD-4000 Disk Drive for Commodore 64 C64 C128
$500.00
Hammerworks box60 Commodore 64 Mechanical Keyboard built
$77.77
Commodore 64 Keyboard only, clean, tested and working (SN P01188869)
$120.00
Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99