Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Lilo config please

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    57

    Lilo config please

    Folks;
    I did a HDD install oh 3.3. Since I already had a system and LILO on the disk, I dis not install LILO again. Unfortunately, I was not given the values (especially the 'append's) that should be in the new entry in the lilo.conf. The only one I used was "lang=en".

    As a result, I can't burn CDs (how do we get here from there you may ask?). My CD-RW is IDE and is given device 'hdc' during discovery (which is not what any application seems to expect). All the docs in the faq talk about SCSI / emulated SCSI devices. There are no SCSI mappings in 'dmesg'. The the string scsi only appears once in the dmesg.
    ----
    root@knop33# dmesg |grep scsi
    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    root@knop33#
    ----
    The '/usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup' refers to 'modconf' in step 6. It then directs the user of a selection that does not exist ("kernel/drivers/scsi"). I chose the simpler "drivers/scsi". Then load two non-existant modules of 'sg' and 'ide-scsi' (neither in the list).

    At this point I lost faith in this procedure and backed out all the changes made in steps 1-5.

    ?? With an IDE hardrive and IDE CD-RW, how do I burn a cd?

    BillS

    P.S. I ftp'ed the knoppix.iso to my FreeBSD machine in about 70 seconds (ya, 105 MB/sec) and burned it from there. And It worked!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I guess you just need to re-run lilo after editing your /etc/lilo.conf with SCSI emulation enabled for your IDE devices. See here.

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. Debian freezing on LILO Config
    By sealview in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
  3. KNOPPIX @ HDD -> Lilo Config?!
    By desty in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 06:07 PM
  4. LILO-config error
    By Taldor in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:07 AM
  5. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00



IBM 02AN553  01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN  Internal Server Systems Adapter picture

IBM 02AN553 01LL325 IBM I/OADAPTER PCIe / PCN Internal Server Systems Adapter

$199.99