Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: My computer runs without M$

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52

    My computer runs without M$

    Well I did it now.
    I was playing around with partitions on my hard drive, don't ask

    After I was done I could not boot up into win98 anymore.
    This is all on my older computer so I was not to worried.
    After playing around some more and still not being able to boot into win98 I thought who needs it

    So I formated my hard drive and M$ was gone forever.
    I booted to my Knoppix cd. I had the computer up and online in just a couple of minutes.

    All without any help from M$....

    --------------

    In the beginning there was darkness. The visions and aspirations of a human kind were bound to the physical world in the most primitive of fashions. And so people created machines to break their bondage. Born from silicon ashes, machines gave human kind the potential to dream without boundaries. This technologyh was good and there was light.

    Without a human dreamer the machine was nothing but silicon. And so operating systems were born to bridge the gap between human and machine. And much discoures ensued among the different operating systems. Even the finest of breeds bickered amongst themselves. And there was splintering, betrayal, lies, and greed.

    Slaves to their dreams, the people became slaves to their machines. Forced to salute with three fingers or speak in arcane and mystic tongues, the people learned to fear... even hate the machines.

    Out of this turmoil came hope.Knoppix

    -------------

    Happy Holiday's

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Very nice

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10
    w00t!

    I'm not to sure about going Linux-Only, only because I have MANY MANY Windows applications (games mostly) that I still use, so I'll probably set up a duel boot system (I asked many questions about it in my thread about the ethernet card )

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    I used to dual boot back in the days of 3.1; I never used windows so I chucked the drive.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Spydie, I applaud your courage.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    Well done, A word to the wise for those thinking to break the link to Windows. Make sure all your hardware is supported in linux first. There are many issues with various bits and peices. Unfortunately many manufacturers overlook the linux world.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I personally only use KNOPPIX for some time now. I have to maintain dual-boot machines, however, for some of my users....

    Happy Holidays!

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    I only boot into windows to scan pictures, which is NOT very often. In the distant future I'll boot into it to verify that my cross-platform game works in Windows as well as Linux.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Welcome to Debian/Knoppix Spydie

    Glad you made it, pretty much, unscathed [giggle]

    The quote was very nice, I liked it. Some of it from Genesis, and, what I guess, a combination of Isaac Asimov and Rad Bradbury - I think

    You have a Wonderful, NON-Windows, Knoppix/Debian, Happy Hollidays too Spydie
    ( and to all the rest within the Knopper Community )

    Happy New (OS) Year,
    Cuddles

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    52
    Well I think I have the cfdisk working now. Ok, so it was always working and I just did not know how to use it

    I'm now copying the knoppix files to the hard drive so I don't have to run it from the cd anymore.

    It does work really great from the cd, but it will be nicer to have it run a bit faster and to be able to save other files to the hard drive again.

    I'm having more fun with my old computer and Knoppix then with the new Dell and winXP, Hmm.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Remaster that runs under Windows
    By chris-uk in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 04:26 PM
  2. Runs great in German?
    By indylarry in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 04:14 AM
  3. New Newbie !! How to make an ISO which runs ???
    By Juste in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 09:51 AM
  4. Runs as root in remaster?
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
  5. system clock runs fast
    By UselessPython in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$20.59



Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power picture

Lot Of Apple Cords And Accessories All OEM Genuine Apple Pencil, Magsafe Power

$109.99



Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25 picture

Genuine/OEM Apple Duckhead Two-Prong Plug - MagSafe AC Wall Adapter - Set of 25

$32.29



Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air picture

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air

$419.59



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air picture

Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air

$8.99



Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter  A1344 ~ FREE S/H picture

Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter A1344 ~ FREE S/H

$12.99



OEM Genuine For Apple MacBook Air Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter Charger A1436 NEW picture

OEM Genuine For Apple MacBook Air Magsafe 2 45W Power Adapter Charger A1436 NEW

$26.79



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Apple 96W USB-C Power Adapter - White - Genuine OEM - NEW SEALED - MacBook Pro picture

Apple 96W USB-C Power Adapter - White - Genuine OEM - NEW SEALED - MacBook Pro

$44.99