Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: wlan setup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1

    wlan setup

    I am using knoppix 3.3 and booting from cd. I have compaq presario 2100 notebook and network everywhere nwp11b wireless card. I am new to linux and cannot get it to recognize the card. Everything runs fine under windows xp home. Any suggestions? Please help and thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9
    Does the card show when you type "iwconfig" in a terminal? If so then it probably is getting detected, but having trouble finding your network.

    Do you have DHCP or does your network use WEP?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    I have the same card (nwp11b) and I'm having issues with finding support in linux for it. It probably wasn't a well thought out investment but it was a spur of the moment thought at wal-mart.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBWan
    Does the card show when you type "iwconfig" in a terminal? If so then it probably is getting detected, but having trouble finding your network.

    Do you have DHCP or does your network use WEP?
    I'm having the same problem, and am using both, I have also input the WEP key and connecting worked. Once.

  5. #5
    I know this is an old post ... but none of the other threads helped me.Any tips guys?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by theinnerbeast
    I know this is an old post ... but none of the other threads helped me.Any tips guys?
    Here's a tip, give readers some idea of what you are talking about, and don't try to hijack an old thread. Are you also having problems with wireless on Knoppix 3.3 and a network everywhere nwp11b NIC? If not then this doesn't apply to you and we can't give you advice without knowing your particular configuration. And if you are trying to get Knoppix 5.0.1 and wifi working then I think there are a lot of other threads that do apply to you, I've contributed to several of them myself, so I'm not sure of what to make of your statement.

    And just incase you are fighting with Knoppix 3.3 and a network everywhere nwp11b NIC, which seems extremely unlikely, you should at least mention that, since no one expects it and this is your first post, both in this thread and the forum in general.

    Welcome to the forum, but help us help you.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by theinnerbeast
    I know this is an old post ... but none of the other threads helped me.Any tips guys?
    Here's a tip, give readers some idea of what you are talking about, and don't try to hijack an old thread. Are you also having problems with wireless on Knoppix 3.3 and a network everywhere nwp11b NIC? If not then this doesn't apply to you and we can't give you advice without knowing your particular configuration. And if you are trying to get Knoppix 5.0.1 and wifi working then I think there are a lot of other threads that do apply to you, I've contributed to several of them myself, so I'm not sure of what to make of your statement.

    And just incase you are fighting with Knoppix 3.3 and a network everywhere nwp11b NIC, which seems extremely unlikely, you should at least mention that, since no one expects it and this is your first post, both in this thread and the forum in general.

    Welcome to the forum, but help us help you.
    I'm sorry I didnt notice the original post was on 3.3 .
    Yes I was hoping there was a way to get the nwp11b PCMCIA card to work on knoppix 5.0.1
    as for the other threads to help me I didnt see or read though all pages of every thread that my search found ... If I remember correctly.

    Thank you for the greetings and I hope all linux users are as freindly =)

    Edit- CD not DVD if that matters

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Well, I can tell you that Knoppix has a lot of wifi shortcomings in general, but 5.0.1 in particular took a step backwards for wifi. I have one wifi vard that worked on several versions before 5.0.1 but I've been unable to get the same card to work in 5.0.1. I have other cards that have never worked in Knoppix, are not even recognized by it, but work fine in other Linux distros including Mandriva and Puppy-Linux. I don't know anything about your particular card. Some cards are not supprted by Linux at all, the manufacturers refuse to release specs for the cards and there are no drivers. others have been well supported. I would suggest that you do some searching and determine how well your card is supported. You may also want to fall back to 4.02 and see if you have any better luck.

  9. #9
    I think I read that else where and tryed 4.02 and it didnt work ... oh well looks like im out of luck then .
    I will try it again right now.

  10. #10
    yep it doesn't see the card out of the box .. or cd in this case.
    I hate to jack the thread but while I have you attention.
    What would be a good linux to try to duel boot windows (I have the partions ready to do what ever) that has a decent chance of "seeing" the card.
    What I'm try to do is use airsnort(seems imposable on windows) b/c Im going on vacation.Being cell phone less and I want to have a better chance of chatting w/ my wife while gone.

    Thanks in advance

    Eek

    I'll try to use the fourms more effectively in the furtue I sware

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
  2. Newb setup
    By AliveUD in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 10:02 PM
  3. setup an old monitor
    By cubrovic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 08:52 PM
  4. k3b setup problem
    By kgw in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 05:23 PM
  5. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00



Intel Core i9 14th Gen i9-14900K CPU Processor (SRN48, X549K945) picture

Intel Core i9 14th Gen i9-14900K CPU Processor (SRN48, X549K945)

$325.00