-
Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 5000e?
Someone I know wants to try Knoppix on a Dell Inspiron 5000e. Are there any issues with this? I have found several threads mentioning problems with the Inspiron 5150; are these the same series of laptop?
Thanks in advance,
Gwai Lo
-
I have searched the forum and havent found anything bad to say about a Dell Inspiron 5000e except that it has a winmodem that will not run "off the bat". see: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512
ps, see that box above your head that says search knoppix.net? It can be your best friend.
-

Originally Posted by
turbinater
Thanks for the WinModem tip. I don't think she uses dialup, as the laptop is being used as a desktop-replacement machine in a tiny office, and is networked. I wouldn't have found the Winmodem, since it doesn't mention Dell anywhere, much less the Inspiron 5000e.

Originally Posted by
turbinater
ps, see that box above your head the says search knoppix.net? It can be your best friend.
Er, yes, I know about the "search" button. This is why I wrote, quite clearly, in English:
I have found several threads mentioning problems with the Inspiron 5150; are these the same series of laptop?
I suppose I could have written something like, "I performed a search using the 'search' link at the top of the webpage above my head, but the only problems I found mentioned were with the Dell Inspiron 5150. Since they're the same manufacturer, series, and almost the same model number, are these basically the same laptop, or are they completely different and I won't have to worry about the 5000e?" but I figured that I wouldn't burden the issue with a bunch of details when my question was pretty clear to begin with.
Honestly, this is the second time I've gotten a really arrogant response when I asked a polite question here. Is this how the Knoppix community wants to portray itself to the Linux-curious? especially since Knoppix is arguably the easiest distribution to give to a total newbie?
The friend in question doesn't have a frogging clue about computers, but she's a hot single chick, of which there is a major shortage in Penguinville. If this is the sort of response I get when I ask straightforward questions, how are you guys ever going to get laid?
-
I suppose I could have written something like, "I performed a search using the 'search' link at the top of the webpage above my head, but the only problems I found mentioned were with the Dell Inspiron 5150. Since they're the same manufacturer, series, and almost the same model number, are these basically the same laptop, or are they completely different and I won't have to worry about the 5000e?" but I figured that I wouldn't burden the issue with a bunch of details when my question was pretty clear to begin with.
Perfectly written.
Honestly, this is the second time I've gotten a really arrogant response when I asked a polite question here. Is this how the Knoppix community wants to portray itself to the Linux-curious? especially since Knoppix is arguably the easiest distribution to give to a total newbie?
I'm just sick of people coming here without doing any "homework". I mean, if your going to ask a question, at least google search your topic first, and say that you did. Your not going to get a very good response if people think your not willing to research your topic. Its like getting a job, then expecting someone else do all your work.
-
Er, yes, I know about the "search" button. This is why I wrote, quite clearly, in English:
A better response would have been: "What box? All I see is the celing."
-
Good luck in past
I was able to get Knoppix on an Inspiron 1100 with a little bit of work. I found the page below incredibly useful because it had detailed accounts of other linux users getting linux to work on their laptops:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
The biggest problem I had was the on board video card wasn't fully supported in X 4.3 and had to compile a small patch to allocate memory.
There are several people on the page above with configurations closer to yours though.
-
I was able to get Knoppix on an Inspiron 1100 with a little bit of work. I found the page below incredibly useful because it had detailed accounts of other linux users getting linux to work on their laptops:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html
The biggest problem I had was the on board video card wasn't fully supported in X 4.3 and had to compile a small patch to allocate memory.
I believe the 5000e runs without problems (besides the modem, and apmd sometimes crashes on older bios revisions).
Similar Threads
-
By jdykstra in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
-
By jimeee in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
-
By rnick in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-11-2004, 08:16 PM
-
By linuxprince in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
-
By Trance in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95