Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 5000e?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15

    Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 5000e?

    Someone I know wants to try Knoppix on a Dell Inspiron 5000e. Are there any issues with this? I have found several threads mentioning problems with the Inspiron 5150; are these the same series of laptop?

    Thanks in advance,

    Gwai Lo

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    I have searched the forum and havent found anything bad to say about a Dell Inspiron 5000e except that it has a winmodem that will not run "off the bat". see: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512

    ps, see that box above your head that says search knoppix.net? It can be your best friend.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    I have searched the forum and havent found anything bad to say about a Dell Inspiron 5000e except that it has a winmodem that will not run "off the bat". see: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050#9512
    Thanks for the WinModem tip. I don't think she uses dialup, as the laptop is being used as a desktop-replacement machine in a tiny office, and is networked. I wouldn't have found the Winmodem, since it doesn't mention Dell anywhere, much less the Inspiron 5000e.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbinater
    ps, see that box above your head the says search knoppix.net? It can be your best friend.
    Er, yes, I know about the "search" button. This is why I wrote, quite clearly, in English:
    I have found several threads mentioning problems with the Inspiron 5150; are these the same series of laptop?
    I suppose I could have written something like, "I performed a search using the 'search' link at the top of the webpage above my head, but the only problems I found mentioned were with the Dell Inspiron 5150. Since they're the same manufacturer, series, and almost the same model number, are these basically the same laptop, or are they completely different and I won't have to worry about the 5000e?" but I figured that I wouldn't burden the issue with a bunch of details when my question was pretty clear to begin with.

    Honestly, this is the second time I've gotten a really arrogant response when I asked a polite question here. Is this how the Knoppix community wants to portray itself to the Linux-curious? especially since Knoppix is arguably the easiest distribution to give to a total newbie?

    The friend in question doesn't have a frogging clue about computers, but she's a hot single chick, of which there is a major shortage in Penguinville. If this is the sort of response I get when I ask straightforward questions, how are you guys ever going to get laid?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    I suppose I could have written something like, "I performed a search using the 'search' link at the top of the webpage above my head, but the only problems I found mentioned were with the Dell Inspiron 5150. Since they're the same manufacturer, series, and almost the same model number, are these basically the same laptop, or are they completely different and I won't have to worry about the 5000e?" but I figured that I wouldn't burden the issue with a bunch of details when my question was pretty clear to begin with.
    Perfectly written.

    Honestly, this is the second time I've gotten a really arrogant response when I asked a polite question here. Is this how the Knoppix community wants to portray itself to the Linux-curious? especially since Knoppix is arguably the easiest distribution to give to a total newbie?
    I'm just sick of people coming here without doing any "homework". I mean, if your going to ask a question, at least google search your topic first, and say that you did. Your not going to get a very good response if people think your not willing to research your topic. Its like getting a job, then expecting someone else do all your work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Er, yes, I know about the "search" button. This is why I wrote, quite clearly, in English:
    A better response would have been: "What box? All I see is the celing."

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9

    Good luck in past

    I was able to get Knoppix on an Inspiron 1100 with a little bit of work. I found the page below incredibly useful because it had detailed accounts of other linux users getting linux to work on their laptops:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

    The biggest problem I had was the on board video card wasn't fully supported in X 4.3 and had to compile a small patch to allocate memory.

    There are several people on the page above with configurations closer to yours though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    I was able to get Knoppix on an Inspiron 1100 with a little bit of work. I found the page below incredibly useful because it had detailed accounts of other linux users getting linux to work on their laptops:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

    The biggest problem I had was the on board video card wasn't fully supported in X 4.3 and had to compile a small patch to allocate memory.
    I believe the 5000e runs without problems (besides the modem, and apmd sometimes crashes on older bios revisions).

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Booting Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 5150
    By jdykstra in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 on Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop
    By jimeee in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.4 on Dell Inspiron 5150
    By rnick in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 08:16 PM
  4. Knoppix on Dell Inspiron 1100..yahooo!
    By linuxprince in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
  5. Dell Inspiron 3000 - knoppix - oddness
    By Trance in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$8999.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99