Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Apt-get errors?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    41

    Apt-get errors?

    Hello,

    After trying "apt-get update", the whole update process completes fine up to 94% and then it gives some errors (W) about not being able to connect for some files.

    Then... when I do (say) "apt-get install firestarter" it completes but there are some errors at the end saying that I should run "apt-get update".
    ....but...but... I just did !?

    Should I be worried about that?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    No, don't worry about it.

    About a month ago, the Debian servers were compromised, so the maintainers took the servers off-line until they can verify that no backdoors have been inserted into any packages.

    No, nobody has any idea when they'll be up again.
    savannah.gnu.org just came back up today, and it was compromised a couple of weeks before the Debian servers were, IIRC.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by jeramy
    No, don't worry about it.

    About a month ago, the Debian servers were compromised, so the maintainers took the servers off-line until they can verify that no backdoors have been inserted into any packages.

    No, nobody has any idea when they'll be up again.
    savannah.gnu.org just came back up today, and it was compromised a couple of weeks before the Debian servers were, IIRC.
    aah.. that is a relief (knowing that it is not something on my end). Thanks !

    I did come accross a webpage saying that the apt-get (debian)) servers were on maintenance, but the date on that page was Nov/10 so I dismissed it.

    When you say "No, don't worry about it" do you mean that the package will work just fine even with the reported errors ?

    Thanks

    Edit: The html tags on this site do *not* like me. I have html enabled but it doesn't kick in.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    The square brackety things are not HTML, they are BBcode.
    Do you have BBcode enabled?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    25
    I have BBCode enabled and I still see the ['quote="jeramy"'] stuff.

    Yes, it probably was November 10th. But considering that the "stable" release of Debian still uses the 2.2 kernel, I wasn't expecting the servers to come up any time soon.

    There's 11000+ packages to comb through, btw.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by tearinghairout
    The square brackety things are not HTML, they are BBcode.
    Do you have BBcode enabled?
    Test... 1..2..test...

    Hmm still no-go after unchecking the "disabe BBcode".

    ..ooh wait a sec it works if I set it through the user profile.

    Darn... I call it "beginner's jinx"; nothing I try works at first.

    --

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    120
    Hello,

    After trying "apt-get update", the whole update process completes fine up to 94% and then it gives some errors (W) about not being able to connect for some files.

    Then... when I do (say) "apt-get install firestarter" it completes but there are some errors at the end saying that I should run "apt-get update".
    ....but...but... I just did !?

    Should I be worried about that?

    Thanks
    You can fetch packages from ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/

Similar Threads

  1. Many Errors at .xsession-errors file ...
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  2. APT-GET... 404 errors
    By Stryker87 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 01:22 AM
  3. Errors during boot.
    By intuxicated in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 11:40 PM
  4. crc errors!
    By foofightr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 02:58 AM
  5. KDE errors
    By Gecko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Intel Optane NMA1XXD128GPS DDR4 2666 4Rx4 ECC 128GB Server Ram picture

Intel Optane NMA1XXD128GPS DDR4 2666 4Rx4 ECC 128GB Server Ram

$80.00



Lot of 4 - Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 MHz CL22 UDIMM RAM Module (CT16G4DFRA32A) picture

Lot of 4 - Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 MHz CL22 UDIMM RAM Module (CT16G4DFRA32A)

$400.00



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00