-
Apt-get errors?
Hello,
After trying "apt-get update", the whole update process completes fine up to 94% and then it gives some errors (W) about not being able to connect for some files.
Then... when I do (say) "apt-get install firestarter" it completes but there are some errors at the end saying that I should run "apt-get update".
....but...but... I just did !?
Should I be worried about that?
Thanks
-
Junior Member
registered user
No, don't worry about it.
About a month ago, the Debian servers were compromised, so the maintainers took the servers off-line until they can verify that no backdoors have been inserted into any packages.
No, nobody has any idea when they'll be up again.
savannah.gnu.org just came back up today, and it was compromised a couple of weeks before the Debian servers were, IIRC.
-

Originally Posted by
jeramy
No, don't worry about it.
About a month ago, the Debian servers were compromised, so the maintainers took the servers off-line until they can verify that no backdoors have been inserted into any packages.
No, nobody has any idea when they'll be up again.
savannah.gnu.org just came back up today, and it was compromised a couple of weeks before the Debian servers were, IIRC.
aah.. that is a relief (knowing that it is not something on my end). Thanks !
I did come accross a webpage saying that the apt-get (debian)) servers were on maintenance, but the date on that page was Nov/10 so I dismissed it.
When you say "No, don't worry about it" do you mean that the package will work just fine even with the reported errors ?
Thanks
Edit: The html tags on this site do *not* like me. I have html enabled but it doesn't kick in.
-
The square brackety things are not HTML, they are BBcode.
Do you have BBcode enabled?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have BBCode enabled and I still see the ['quote="jeramy"'] stuff.
Yes, it probably was November 10th. But considering that the "stable" release of Debian still uses the 2.2 kernel, I wasn't expecting the servers to come up any time soon. 
There's 11000+ packages to comb through, btw.
-

Originally Posted by
tearinghairout
The square brackety things are not HTML, they are BBcode.
Do you have BBcode enabled?
Test... 1..2..test...
Hmm still no-go after unchecking the "disabe BBcode".
..ooh wait a sec it works if I set it through the user profile.
Darn... I call it "beginner's jinx"; nothing I try works at first.
--
-
Hello,
After trying "apt-get update", the whole update process completes fine up to 94% and then it gives some errors (W) about not being able to connect for some files.
Then... when I do (say) "apt-get install firestarter" it completes but there are some errors at the end saying that I should run "apt-get update".
....but...but... I just did !?
Should I be worried about that?
Thanks
You can fetch packages from ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/
Similar Threads
-
By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
-
By Stryker87 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 01:22 AM
-
By intuxicated in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 11:40 PM
-
By foofightr in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 02:58 AM
-
By Gecko in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99