Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HD *RE-install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    13

    HD *RE-install

    Has anyone tried re-installing a new version of knoppix over an older one and been able to keep the configuration the same? I want to install k3b, and my luck trying to get it installed has been fruitless. I hear that it works with the new knoppix version. I cant seem to get it in there though. i am not able to install k3b because of the kdelibs4 /libarts1 dependancies... and apt-get wont install those either because of a bunch of other dependencies. I followed a few other resources for installing KDE3.. which has kdelibs4 in it.. and after all the purging of kde and attempt to re-install kde from other sources, i still came up short.

    any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    -Matt

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    This may help...

    I have not done a reinstall of knoppix to the Harddisk.

    But the link below will help in installing KDE 3.1. I did this with about a 90% functional system. Will need some tweaking.

    http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde/

    Hope this helps.

    -Steve

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9
    I managed to install KDE 3.1 on a fresh knoppix installation. It is very fiddly though and took me a lot of time. I am not even sure to be honest how I did it.
    Basically, I had the same dependency problem as you with kdelibs4 /libarts1 and simply force removed them before rerunning the apt-get install on the kde element (obviously in another x system). It won't let you remove those 2 packages because some folders aren't empty, just delete them.

    Sorry I can't be more precise but I am not too sure myself.

    Another tip though, make sure to empty your /etc/apt/sources.list files completely (there seem to be some package conflicts at download time) an use a kde source such as http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1/Debian/

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    37

    HD *RE-install

    Does a re-install _always_overwrite a previous Knoppix install that I tried to alter and in the process messed up?
    There will be no interaction between the new install and the old install?
    I would like to avoid doing anything manually with the "dreaded" partitions
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    A knx-hdinstall will wipe out your existing install and re-install from scratch, if you have your partitions in order you won't have to re-do them. Just make sure while the system is still in tact that you figure out what linux partitions are being used by your knoppix install, so you don't do something to mess up your system, then just select the proper partition(s). It's been quite a while since I've done a knoppix knx-hdinstall, so I don't remember all the details, but if you get dropped into cfdisk and everything is OK just exit it, and the installer should continue on its merry way.

    Note: if you've done any customizing that you want to save, ie: edited any scripts, have a home directory that you would like to keep, bookmarks, emails, etc. make sure to save those before you do the re-install.

    rock

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00