Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Using Knoppix with work saved to hard drive...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12

    Using Knoppix with work saved to hard drive...

    I would like to set up Knoppix on a standalone computer so that Linux and all of the Knoppix applications run from the CR-ROM, but any files I create can be stored to the hard drive. At this point I am not concerned with operating speed.

    I imagine the above configuration would first require the creation of a Linux partition on the hard drive which Knoppix would recognize. However, how does one get Knoppix/Linux to recognize the hard drive as a place to save files? I am new to Knoppix and Linux in general, so I'll need all the help I can get, right down to the commands.

    Thanks.

    Knoppix Knewbie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    check out knoppix persistant home ( have a look in the news section for the thread )

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12

    Using Knoppix with work saved to hard drive...

    Sorry, Eadz. I don't know what 'Knoppix Persistant Home' is, nor have I been able to find it on the web. Remember, I am a Linux Newbie.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: Using Knoppix with work saved to hard drive...

    Quote Originally Posted by howagood
    Sorry, Eadz. I don't know what 'Knoppix Persistant Home' is, nor have I been able to find it on the web. Remember, I am a Linux Newbie.
    sorry.
    see here
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

    basically, you'll need to download the file and read the readme in it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12

    Saving files to hard drive using Knoppix

    Okay, Eadz, I'm finally caught up on what you had asked me to do. I located Knoppix Persistent Home, downloaded a copy, and read the readme.

    The Hint says if Persistent Home is used regularly, one should "put the files knx_persistent_home.pl and knoppix.sh on the Knoppix CD into the KNOPPIX directory."

    My question: If the Knoppix download is an iso and the CD is already burned, how does one copy those two files?

    Thanks again.
    Howard, the Knoppix Knewbie

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: Saving files to hard drive using Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by howagood
    The Hint says if Persistent Home is used regularly, one should "put the files knx_persistent_home.pl and knoppix.sh on the Knoppix CD into the KNOPPIX directory."

    My question: If the Knoppix download is an iso and the CD is already burned, how does one copy those two files?

    Thanks again.
    Howard, the Knoppix Knewbie
    Get winiso (or isobuster) for windows.
    Winiso opens iso images as they were simple folders. Then you may copy files (view, delete etc)
    Then re-save iso and burn. It is easy
    Winiso make images from the CD if you have only the CD.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12

    modifying ISOs...

    Thanks, Eadz! I've give WinISO or ISObuster a try.

    Regards,
    Howard, the experienced Knewbie

Similar Threads

  1. How to optimize my Hard Drive under Knoppix?
    By lyonh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 05:15 PM
  2. Installing Knoppix on hard drive
    By Bubba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
  3. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  4. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM
  5. Is is possible to boot Knoppix from a USB hard drive?
    By pkobos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00