Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problem booting back into Win2K after running Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Problem booting back into Win2K after running Knoppix

    I've run Knoppix for the first time on my Win2K machine. Now I can't boot back into Win2K (only Safe Mode works).

    Has anyone else had a similar problem and knows of a fix?

    Symptoms:
    1) POST completes.
    2) See large Windows 2000 screen with scrolling bar.
    3) See Windows 2000 desktop with dialog "Windows is starting up...".
    4) Computer reboots!

    Attempted Fixes:
    1) Run ChkDsk /r to check and repair all disks in Recovery Console.
    2) Enable boot logging. Examing C:\WINNT\ntbtlog.txt. Shows "Loaded driver \??\C:\WINNT\System32\vsdatant.sys" as the last line. This is the ZoneAlarm device driver.
    3) Reinstalled ZoneAlarm with "Clean Install" option.

    Thoughts:
    1) I haven't run FixMBR from the Recovery Console because I don't think the MBR is corrupt (or wouldn't be loading Win2K as far as it does).
    2) I'm thinking of just reformatting and reinstalling Win2K along with a real Linux distro (I'm also interested in creating an LFS system).

    Any thoughts or similar problems?

    Thanks and Merry Christmas!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hi,

    You didn't say if you've written on an NTFS disk from linux?
    If that's the case, you could try with ntfsfix, see $man ntfsfix
    It's a bit risky though as all ntfs thingies in linux.

    BTW, have you scanned for viruses? Some of them try to kill virus-scanners and firewalls and generally mess things up

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    23
    I do have w2k and all the updates in my sistem. did the knoppix-hdinstall script, loaded LILO into the MBR with no problems. that's weird.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Markus: Thanks for the tips

    I don't think I have any viruses. My system is pretty clean and I keep track on all open ports, etc. ZoneAlarm was working flawlessly before I tried Knoppix. If its a virus, then it either came from Knoppix or was delivered while running Knoppix. Also, I didn't install Knoppix, I just ran it from the CD ISO. Does the Knoppix base present any exploitable interfaces?

    My drives are NTFS. I didn't write to them or change their configuration while running Knoppix. I did view them in the Knoppix GUI file explorer.

    Basically, I was interested in seeing what a Linux OS would look like. Got the Knoppix ISO, burned it, and rebooted. It booted just fine! Played around for about 10 minutes. Ejected the CD and rebooted to find Win2K busted.

    Well, I'm generally an optimist so it seems like a good time to reinstall Win2K and then look into dual booting into Linux and (hopefully) my own LinuxFromScratch system.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hmm,

    You might as well try pressing F8 and choosing "Last known good configuration"
    And why not "fixmbr" and "fixboot" from recovery console, although I don't think you'd get that far if you didn't have broken files somewhere.
    Have you tried the "Repair" option from the win install CD.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    P4p4Psm3rph,

    Interesting...

    I know for a fact that the Knoppix Live CD couldn't have "picked up" a virus - even if you managed to get to the internet, because it runs strictly on a RamDisk, which it creates during each boot. So, if a virus was picked up, it would simply evaporate when you shutdown. Assuming the ISO was flawed, I would think you wouldn't be able to boot Knoppix. From what I hear, "looking" at NTFS disks is fine, but touching them, editing and saving, is a bad thing, it can cause file/disk corruption - which is mentioned in these forums "many" times. This is also the reason why Knoppix DEFAULTS to read-only on any drives it detects, when booted from the CD.

    Even if Knoppix did pick up a virus, it would have to be a virus "specific" to Linux/Debian/Unix, and since booting into a OS that is not Unix is by far, a different breed, shouldn't be able to "cross-platform" OS's. A MAC virus can not infect a PC, for this same reason, a PC virus can not infect a Unix/Linux. Assuming they don't have "same" file systems. Since you are running a NTFS file system in Win2k, and Knoppix is not only using a RamDisk, but also uses a Linux FS, they are not cross-platform.

    Only thing I can think of is that (knowing M$) it saw you going behind its back, and trying another (competition) OS, and it got mad at you. [ j / k and sorry, I couldn't resist ]

    Knoppix was made on the CD so that it "wouldn't" touch your OS, it runs without having to use, or take, anything away from your "already" working OS. It is even safe-gaurded, by not allowing WRITE access, by default, to existing drives on your system. Only thing I could think of is that: Did you do a "Save Knoppix Configuration", or a "Create Persistant Knoppix Home", or "Create Knoppix Swap File" - and if so, did those things get placed on your Win2k hard drive?

    Just some ideas,
    Cuddles

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3

    Behind M$ back...

    Cuddles,

    LOL Yeah, M$ disabled their own OS..?!

    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm just gonna rebuild my system. At least I have two hard drives and can boot into safe mode. I've already made a backup CD and moved some larger sets of files to the other drive.

    Thanks for your extensive reply also.

    Peace!

Similar Threads

  1. Instructions: Dual booting Poor Man/Win2k using GRUB
    By Jansi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 08:31 PM
  2. Problem with booting and running knoppix
    By Peur2Rien in forum General Support
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 12:55 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 10:32 AM
  4. Ok got knoppix running, now i have a question..(not problem)
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 05:01 PM
  5. Problem running knoppix from CD
    By rr4goose in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |  picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |

$79.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19