Problem solved, it seems.
I booted Knoppix with "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and it worked. Maybe the trident X server is messed up?
I can boot Knoppix, and it will detect my onboard graphics card as a Cyberblade/i1 and start Xfree86 (trident) server. The display is fine until X starts, at which point my monitor shows multiple, distorted images, like the screen is wrapped around a clear cylinder. Has anyone successfully used X on a Mini-ITX 800, and if not can anyone take a stab at what the problem is here.
(The same thing occurs with College Linux, the terminal works but I can't use X)
Thanks.
Problem solved, it seems.
I booted Knoppix with "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and it worked. Maybe the trident X server is messed up?

Qty.8 Samsung 16GB 2RX4 Pc4 2133P M393A2G40DB0-CPB0Q Ram Memory
$599.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 Internal SSD (MZ-V9P2T0B/AM)
$249.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99